Sunday, October 5, 2014

Top 100 Law & Order Episodes: 90-81

Greetings,

Welcome back to the Top 100 countdown of Law & Order episodes. Get ready for Numbers 90-81. Off we go.


#90. "Invaders" (Season 16) - This is an episode that almost made me cry. You think you're over something that happened ten seasons earlier, until you get reminded of it by way of a similar situation. So, this was the final appearance of Alex Borgia, extremely final, if you know what I mean. I have to say, though, I do enjoy episodes when something hits home where one of the main characters is concerned. The actors get a chance to go further when their jobs have to get more personal.

#89. "Empire" (Season 9) - Most of the time, an actor cannot become uber-famous without gaining a whole lot of haters. Such is the case with Julia Roberts. A lot of people like her, but apparently, some people do not. My pendulum tends to swing to the more favorable side when it comes to her, and I've never really had an issue with her as an actress. She does have a infectious laugh, I must say, which came in handy for her comedic work. But if you ever doubted her range, just watch this episode. She was a total "B" in this thing, even to her boyfriend-at-the-time, Benjamin Bratt. As far as I'm concerned, Julia getting to stretch her acting legs here is what won her that Oscar. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

#88. "Flaw" (Season 16) - As I recall, I did a whole post about my issues with crossovers. I am not always a fan, and Law & Order had their share. This episode is the Part 2 of an SVU episode called "Design" in which Lynda Carter and Estella Warren play a mother/daughter con team. If you don't think that you'll be able to buy Wonder Woman as a bad guy, think again. Ms. Carter totally sold it. And let's not forget about Estella Warren. Holy smokes, she was fantastic. I don't how she could convincingly go from "Boo-hoo, I'm a victim" to "By the way, I have no soul" in about half a second. She blew me away in the last scene, so much that it gives me another reason to dislike Hollywood. This woman is better than most people getting big movie roles, so, for crying out loud, give her something major!

#87. "Deadbeat" (Season 7) - I think we can all agree that deadbeat parents are awful. Sure, the spouse or ex-spouse suffers a lot, but it's the children who have to go through it through it the most. In this episode, we see how a parent not doing the right thing can lead to problems for the whole family and beyond, and how desperation can drive you to do the unthinkable. Although, what they are desperate for may come as a surprise.

#86. "Untitled" (Season 10) - I am very much a supporter of all things artistic, and I certainly support real artists. However, I will be one of the first people to call someone out on being pretentious or doing something with shock value just to get attention. I even call myself out on that. Some folks, though, do not like certain kinds of art or "art" at all. So, what is a logical and not insane thing to do when you feel that way? Write a bad review or an angry letter? Protest? Ask anyone who will listen 'whatever happened to real art'? Not in this case. On Law & Order, people just go directly to straight up murder. Seriously? That just feels like so much more of an effort.

#85. "Embedded" (Season 14) - Remember what I said about my being a supporter of the arts, but that some of the "artists" I have problems with? Well, I am also a supporter of the first amendment and all that, especially in journalism. But there may be a few idiots in that business, too. Yeah, a few. This episode is great because of Nick Chinlund, who plays this obnoxious and publicity-hungry reporter that gets shot after having put some soldiers in danger. Anyway, one thing leads to another, and McCoy ends up charging him with treason. Is he guilty? Beats me. When McCoy pulls charges like this out of left field, I have no idea if he's being serious about it or not.

#84. "Damaged" (Season 8) - I really hate it when people take advantage of a special needs person because they think they can. I'm actually disgusted by it, and I have seen it firsthand. That's what this one is all about. Lauren Ambrose does a superb job of playing a teenager assaulted by three boys, who are trying to say she wanted it. Sadly, this girl so desperately wanted to be thought of as "normal" that she refuses to admit what really happened. It's one of those heartbreaking, tear-jerker episodes, and that includes a tragic and powerful subplot with Briscoe. Hats off to you, too, Mr. Orbach,

#83. "Out of the Half Light" (Season 1) - This is one of those episodes that is very hard to watch. The plot is basically that a young African- American girl says she was raped by two white police officers. The cops start investigating, but maybe not quickly or zealously enough. Then, everything turns into a big mess, to say the least, and this poor girl is stuck in the middle. It's pretty awful, but it does make you feel something, which is great. Oh, and look out for Frankie Faison, who you may know as Barney from all the Hannibal Lector movies. Good times, indeed.

#82. "Just a Girl in the World" (Season 20) - Women. Nothing but trouble. I know. I am one. And guys? Are they stupid or what? Making our jobs a lot easier, if you ask me. Okay, kidding aside, in this episode, a woman claims to have been attacked by a cab driver, but, turns out, she's a big liar. She's actually a criminal, kind of a con-woman. And between her status of victim and villain, Lupo decides to get involved with her, if you know what I mean. Really, dude? Look, I don't know if hooking up with the victim of a crime you're investigating is a full on "Thou Shalt Not" in the NYPD, but I'm pretty darn sure it's frowned upon. Yeah, there were many people frowning at him.

#81. "Loco Parentis" (Season 10) - I am not a fan of bullies, nor am I a fan of terrible parents. Well, thanks a pantload, Show! You gave me both this time! This is another tough subject having to do with kids and I just have no idea what you can tell them about defending themselves against bullies. I'd like to think it wouldn't involve weapons, certainly not ones given to them by said parents, but these days, they probably think they have no choice. It's another of those stories where no one knows who to blame, so you just point the finger wherever and hope it lands in the right place.


Join me next time.


Love and full moons,

Becky the Writer