Greetings,
Even though getting new characters on Law & Order was something we were more than used to, I still looked forward to when someone new was coming to the show. So, when it came to the last new character we were going to get, I'd think they would get someone really fantastic upon whom to bestow that honor. Well, I thought correctly. Join me now as I discuss the final Law & Order main character, Kevin Bernard.
Kevin Bernard was portrayed by Anthony Anderson from the middle of Season 18 to the end of Season 20. I don't think they ever did this, but he actually came in for the last episode of Detective Green, the man he would replace. In fact, at the time, he was working IAB. For those playing the home game, that stands for the Internal Affairs Bureau. They investigate crimes that may or may not have been committed by their fellow police officers. Hmm. That can't make them very popular. In fact, the first time see him, he's there to investigate Green. Yeah, we got off to a rocky start there. Who would have guessed that this would have led him to working in Homicide and being quite a likable character?
Bernard seemed to be a bit more "by the book" than his partner, but that's expected. It gives a good balance and probably makes it easier for some good cop/bad cop shenanigans. Eventually, Bernard and Lupo develop a good friendship, but they do disagree on quite a few issues. I mean, they obvious weren't seeing eye to eye in that first episode, which was before they were even partners. Not because Lupo was trying to help out Green, whilst Bernard was investigating him, but because Lupo brought up that he wanted to get a dog, and Bernard said he didn't like dogs. Oh, no. We're going to have a problem. But he apparently has a good excuse. When he was in Catholic school, the kids gave him the nickname of "St. Bernard". Okay, I guess I understand. But wouldn't that make you hate kids? And if you must hate dogs, why not just the St. Bernard? Why blame all breeds for this? Alright, I'm getting off track. Moving on.
As I just said, Bernard went to Catholic school, and he continued to practice the religion into his adulthood. This most likely plays a part in his personal beliefs and politics. He appears to be Conservative on most issues. In Season 20, we learn that he is pro-life, and, when the subject of illegal immigration comes up, he says he understands why it bothers people so much. Growing up in Compton, he witnessed many jobs being lost to those immigrants because businesses wanted cheap labor, and he saw the effects of that on where he lived. We actually get a lot of references to his youth over the years. In one case, when the DA's office wants to charge a very large group of men fighting in the park as terrorists, he has few problems with it. As those men caused harm to innocent parties and were technically a gang, Bernard was reminded of how he thought gangs terrorized many innocent people and should be held responsible for it.
When it comes to Bernard's personal life, we do not learn much. However, when he was called on to testify during the trial, it was revealed that he had a son, but he does not have a relationship with him. The reason is because the mother was involved with someone else when the child was conceived, so the paternity was called into question. But, even though it was proved to be Bernard's son, they all agreed to let him be raised by the mother and her husband. They thought it was what was best for the kid. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I guess I respect Bernard's decision to not want to disrupt his son's life.
I really like this character, and I really like Anthony Anderson as an actor. He just seems like so much fun in real life. And I have to admire him for taking on this role. The situation seems similar to when Dennis Farina had to replace Jerry Orbach after an eleven year run. Anthony Anderson was following Jesse L Martin, who had been on the show for nine years. Not easy, I'm sure, but he did an amazing job. And as the last new character we got on Law & Order, everyone certainly got the privilege of going out on a very high note.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer