Friday, October 10, 2014

Law & Order Character Profile: Emil Skoda

Greetings,

Now for another one of those characters from Law & Order who is considered recurring, but also extremely well-known and well-loved by the viewers. And, this time, it's a boy! No, seriously, it's a man. Gotta give respect. That man is Emil Skoda...which may or may not be the greatest fictional name of all time, but I'll try to get back to you on that one. But what's in a name? Let's talk about the person.

Emil Skoda was portrayed by J.K. Simmons for about seven years, and he also had an appearance in the final season. Oh, and let's just get this out of the way. Yes, he played J. Jonah Jameson in the Spiderman movies. Go ahead, fanboys and fangirls. Scream, shout, squeal. Done? Good. Let's move on. Dr. Skoda was our resident psychiatrist, who took over when Dr. Olivet wasn't there. Even though, she was a psychologist. Whatever. I can't tell the difference. Actually, when it comes to these two, I can. Especially when they work "together". See, Skoda always has his suspicion engine running at full speed. He is far less willing to say that someone is, for real, insane, and far more willing to think they are faking it. Well, he can't blame them for trying. No, wait, he totally can.

Now we don't know very much about Skoda's personal life. He did mention one time that he had a son who likes rollerblading and Nintendo, and I'm happy to assume he was telling the truth about that. I mean, who doesn't like rollerblading and Nintendo? Oh, right, me. But that's only because I'm not good at either of them. Another thing is that Skoda is actually a medical physician who just happens to be a psychiatrist. Maybe when he was pre-Med he thought, 'TEN years of education? I can do way more than that!' What an overachiever! He'd have to be, since he also has made appearances on the three main Law & Orders.

Yeah, so that'a about all I can say, detail-wise about Emil Skoda. I mean, there are only so many ways I can say, "This guy is awesome!" So, to reiterate, this guy is awesome. And I happen to be speaking of character and actor. Look, we all know that J.K. Simmons is a superb actor who has been in many roles, but this is where I am impressed by him most. I just love the way he carries himself as this character, and they could not have picked anyone better.

Love and full moons,

Becky the Writer