Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Law & Order Character Profile: Phil Cerreta

Greetings,

Much like I called Max Greevey legendary for being the first cast regular of Law & Order to exit the show, so will I call Phil Cerreta legendary for being the first cast regular to enter the already established show. Considering that this was the first time they were pulling the soon-to-be customary switcheroo, it was important to get someone good with whom we could be comfortable, but also respect as quickly as possible. And, boy, did they ever get that someone.

Phil Cerreta was portrayed by Paul Sorvino from 1991 to 1992. Yeah, you heard me. The great and powerful, Paul Sorvino. That's right, Show, you keep'em coming. Anyway, Cerreta came in at a very difficult time, and his first duty was investigate the murder of Greevey. As if that wasn't tough enough, he also was forced to deal with Mike Logan, who, as you may recall, could be a tad petulant. To be fair, he just really want to catch the killer, and Cerreta was being seen by him as an interference and help that he didn't think was needed. But, once that all had passed, the two became partners and eventually friends.

In the brief that we had with Phil Cerreta, we actually did not learn a ton of things about him. He's Italian -duh!- and Catholic, with a wife named Elaine and about five kids. We did get to meet the missus, but none of the kids, as per usual. And, like many of the gentlemen on this show, he had a military background before becoming a police officer, a job he held for over twenty years. One thing I liked about him was that he always seemed to be quite endearing when it came to dealing with people involved in his investigations. I suppose he was all for that "catch more flies with honey that with vinegar" thing. His technique did provide us with a nice balance, especially when compared to the techniques of others. Yes, others. You know who you are.

Phil Cerreta's departure came, like his predecessor, by way of gunshot wound. I'm starting to think Logan is bad luck. Thankfully, Cerreta did not pass away, suffering a shot to the stomach, which was an accident. Well, accident-ish. I mean, it was a drug dealer, so we're probably not going to give him too much leeway. Anyway, he ended up suffering nerve damage and had to abandon his partner as a street cop and take a desk job. Off camera, the reason why Paul Sorvino decided to leave had to do with the stress of doing an hour long drama. I can understand that. To say those actors have to work long days is a massive understatement, so I understand. Also, he apparently wanted to maintain the quality of his vocal chords, so he could continue to pursue his opera singing. And if you've ever heard him sing, you'll know why that amazing voice deserves the utmost care. And, yes, he is one of the cast members who makes me wish they did the occasional musical episode.

I just love Paul Sorvino so much. I have a ton of respect for him as an actor, but, on a more superficial note, I also think he probably gives great hugs. That's not weird, is it? Sadly, I may never find out if this is true. Unless...hmmm. @MiraSorvino 'Does your dad give good hugs? Thank you'. Kidding aside, I truly enjoyed what he brought to the series, and he was the first actor to remind us that, if you get the best people you can, the show can and will go on.

Love and full moons,

Becky the Writer