Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Top 100 Law & Order Episodes: 60-51

Greetings,

Welcome back for Numbers 60 through 51 of the Top 100 episodes of Law & Order.

#60. "Expert" (Season 8) - So, two guys get shot in a bathroom, because nowhere is safe or sacred, but only one was an intended target. The guilty party wanted to kill this doctor who was an expert on mental problems. He had failed to keep said guilty party's father out of jail, so, you know, angry. But the good news is we get some early career Vera Farmiga, and a little cameo from Judy Kuhn, or the voice of Disney version Pocahontas. Sadly, she does not sing here.

#59. "B*tch" (Season 13) - For the record, I did not censor this title. This is how it appears in the little booklet that came with my DVD collection. So, there. Anyway, as a woman, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be empowered or insulted by what happens here. What happens is that a very powerful businesswoman kills a guy, and her defense is - wait for it - menopause! 'Cause women, am I right? Seriously, though, I know that some ladies get hit with the menopause something scary, and it can actually be debilitating for them. But to use it as a defense for murder? I just don't know. It almost makes the PMS jokes move the women's movement forward. But good acting from Lucie Arnaz. She almost made me buy it.

#58. "Second Opinion" (Season 5) - Okay, the main plot here is that a woman used an alternative treatment for cancer and may get charged with negligent homicide. But this is a favorite because it's the first appearance of Sam Waterston as Jack McCoy. He sure starts off with a bang here. Case in point, we all know in hindsight that he and Claire were involved. No one is sure when it started, but the fact that he takes his pants off in front of her in this episode is, I suppose, foreshadowing? Okay, fine, he was standing behind the door in his office whilst he did it, but she was in the room and they were talking and he just, out of the blue, decided to change his pants. I call 'inappropriate' on that one.

#57. "Crimebusters" (Season 19) - Here's a word to the wise. Unless you are Samantha Kinsey or Jessica Fletcher or Sherlock Holmes, stay the heck out of police business if you're a civilian. Mmm-kay? What happens here is that an Army recruitment center was bombed whilst a woman and her baby were living there unknown. Sadly, the baby died, and the mother starts acting quite suspicious. Meanwhile, this "helpful" group called Crimebusters keeps butting in and messing things up. Seriously, people, just back up and hands off.

#56. "Terminal" (Season 7) - In this episode, we get into the debate of the death penalty. The Attorney General says yes to it, but Adam Schiff disagrees. But the reason this makes my list is because of the subplot, also featuring Schiff and concerning his wife. It's one of those personal stories and it's done wonderfully. If the ending doesn't break your heart, I don't even know what to say to you.

#55. "Mother's Milk" (Season 10) - So, I guess breastfeeding is all controversial these days. Alright, then. Apparently, everyone needs something to whine about. Anyway, this whole story culminates around just that subject after two young parents of a newborn lose the baby. As much as I hate that idea, these stories tend to be the most compelling. It's pretty sad, and it's one of those stories where you kind of don't know who to blame. What's not sad is that we get some Donna Murphy, who does a fantastic job. My dear, you are officially forgiven for Star Trek: Insurrection.

#54. "Age of Innocence" (Season 16) - A car bomb explodes, killing a man who just turned off the feeding tube for his wife, who was in a vegetative state. I've heard that, when it comes to the real life story on which this is based, some people would not have minded if that actually happened. Because two wrongs make a right, I guess. Anyway, this is another one where the blame can be put on someone, but it's a bittersweet situation if they have to be punished for it.

#53. "Baby, It's You" (Season 8) - So, here's another of those crossover episodes. This is the first part, and the second part continues on Homicide: Life on the Street. Happily, in this case, we get that episode on the DVD as well. Thank you! Anyway, it's about this 14-year-old model who turns up dead. Wow, this show really wants to steer young women away from that profession. Though, I have to say, this has an ending that I did not expect. Not at all. It's actually rather insane.

#52. "Betrayal" (Season 18) - Okay, in order for me to fully express my opinion on this one, I must lay out the entire plot. Quickly. So, this psychiatrist gets murdered in his office. His wife, who is played very well by Moira Kelly, is the one who did it, because she thought he was messing around with one of his underage patients. Apparently, she found a tape labeled "Meredith", where he gets...explicit. Her defense is that he molested her when she was his underage patient, and she wanted to save the other girls. Turns out, on that tape, he was talking about her, so she ended up feeling bad and remorseful for killing him. Or something. Okay, but hang on. He still did mess around with her when she was underage. I know they got married eventually, but isn't this all still kind of wrong? Or is it just me?

#51. "Gunshow" (Season 10) - This episode is all about a guy who goes into Central Park and shoots a bunch of women, because he's bitter that they got into the good school and he didn't. Well, that's weak. But, on a brighter note, this is the first appearance for Jesse L. Martin as Det. Ed Green. Yay. And we got to know him pretty well, just from this first time, like his interesting interrogation techniques. Also, he mentioned driving to Atlantic City overnight, just to play some poker. Of course, right then, we all thought 'Oh, gambling. So, that's gonna be his thing'. Because everyone on Law & Order has a thing. For better or worse. Usually worse.

Join me next time.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer