Sunday, October 12, 2014

Top 100 Law & Order Episodes: 70-61

Greetings,

Welcome back to the Law & Order Top 100. Here we go with Numbers 70 through 61.


#70. "Knockoff" (Season 19) - Oh, big cities, you think you've got the market cornered when it comes to crime and corruption, but I think the small towns can give you a run for your money sometimes. One of them did here. So, a tourist gets murdered in New York City, and, step by step, it leads them to some bad goings on upstate. Now, even though we are dealing with some serious crimes, I have to say, there were some moments of levity. I mean, despite the crookedness happening, they seriously Mayberry-ed up this town, which is even better when Lupo is forced to stay there. But the chili is good, apparently. And, fun fact, Clancy Brown guests stars in this episode. If you are unaware, he is well-known for voicing Lex Luthor in several DC animated projects. Add to that the fact that Jeremy Sisto, a.k.a. Detective Lupo, once provided the voice of Batman. As a DC fan, I take that as a gift.

#69. "Renunciation" (Season 2) - Teenage boys are stupid and women are evil temptresses. Well, that's the impression I get from this episode. We get the classic tale of a female teacher sleeping with her male student, and then her husband ends up dead. Where do they come up with this stuff? Exactly. Sure, we all know this story, but it's still a good episode. Especially this one line that the student says. When asked if he is romantically involved with his teacher, his response is, "I'm no Rob Lowe, Detective. I have enough trouble getting dates with juniors". Now this episode first aired in 1991, a mere three years after Rob Lowe's little...controversy, if you recall. So, I don't know if this was meant to be a semi-topical joke, but that's sure how I saw it.

#68. "Acid" (Season 16) - As I've said, I like it when things get personal on the show. Here, the daughter of one of Van Buren's friends commits suicide, which stemmed from a former boyfriend who burned her face with acid. Of course, the guy uses the fact that the mother is terrified of him to intimidate her. Lovely. Okay, I always want the bad guy to get caught, but sometimes I just think "Please get this guy! Like, all caps, extra 'E's, PLEEEEASE get this guy!!!" Yeah, this one of those times.

#67. "Severance" (Season 2) - Remember that line from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where the one mother tells her kid to "Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut"? Well, she probably didn't want him to grow up to be a whistle blower. I guess she saw this episode, or would in twenty years. Anyway, it starts with some people who are planning to testify against some rich dude getting killed. The cops start arresting guilty folks left and right. It's great. Except for this abhorrent defense attorney (we get a lot of those) who is trying to stick it to Ben Stone. Well, I'm sure that'll work for him.

#66. "Over Here" (Season 17) - I don't like it when people treat badly those who have fought for our country. It kind of disgusts me. This episode ends up being about how some soldiers were treated in a "hospital" set up for them. I mean, they showed the place, and it was awful. This was brought up to be part of a defense for someone, but the Feds showed up, as they do, and said that everyone had to keep their mouths shut about it. Amazing. I think this might make McCoy a tad upset. But, at least, Vincent Piazza got to play a criminal here, which, no doubt, readied him for his role in Jersey Boys.

#65. "Remains of the Day" (Season 17) - Okay, the timing of this episode is bizarre, to say the least. The plot is that a young-ish blonde woman who was once married to a super-rich, super-old, super-dead guy and who is currently money fighting with his family is in the hospital when her son dies suddenly and unexpectedly. Yeah, so it's Anna Nicole, initially. Weird thing is that, of course, it aired after the death of her son, but a month before her death. Creepy. Still, as far as the plot unfolding, they take it in a direction that no one saw coming. Which is good. Although, if you'd like a more complete Anna Nicole saga, I refer you to the Criminal Intent episode called "Bombshell".

#64. "Performance" (Season 5) - So, snuff films are messed up, am I right? Naturally, Law & Order had to do an episode about them. The cops get a hold of one of these things wherein a young girl appears to be murdered. So they go off to try and find out who the victim was. Turns out, she's alive, but this all leads to a "points-for-sex" club at her high school. Her prestigious high school, I might add. Well, where do you think all that tuition money goes? Oh, and "Hi, Peter Facinelli as one of the bad guys. Your punishment is to be in ALL FIVE Twilight movies!"

#63. "House of Cards" (Season 16) - It's so tough to make decisions sometimes. Such is the case here, when a baby is kidnapped and there are so many people the ADA's want to prosecute. McCoy and Borgia have to decide which person they'd rather throw in jail more, or with which one it would be easier. Wow, life was so much simpler when we could all just "Eenie, meenie, miney, moe" our way out of these situations.

#62. "Confession" (Season 2) - This was the first episode of the second season and it was a doozy. The cops have to investigate the murder of one of their own, Max Greevey, and it is not very easy for them, especially Logan. He takes it hard, very hard, and he is overly determined to get the perp, even if it means bending the rules a little. Okay, a lot. Tip of the hat to Chris Noth, though. That was some mighty fine acting, sir.

#61. "In Vino Veritas" (Season 17) - If you've watched more than one episode of Law & Order, you've probably seen that little disclaimer at the beginning about how the is not really a true story or whatever. Yeah, so here's an episode where Chevy Chase plays Mel Gibson. No, I'm not kidding. I think at the start of the series, even though they admitted the whole "ripped from the headlines" thing, they still managed to tiptoe around the true news story. By year 17, they just went for it, full force. I mean, he's a celebrity who gets pulled over for drunk driving and then starts ranting about the Jews. For crying out loud, he even calls a female cop sugar...well, you know. Sure, they built some layers to the plot, as they do, but really? Yet, still entertaining as heck.

Join me next time.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer