Greetings,
I have done a lot of top ten lists during my time on this blog. Some have been easy; some, not so much. This one might be the most difficult one of all. Or maybe second most difficult after my Top 100 Law & Order Episodes series. See, I have decided to not do a Top Ten list but rather a Top Fifty list. I am doing this, because we're talking about what is arguably the most influential band of all time, The Beatles. There are just way too many good songs from this band to narrow it down to just ten. Yes, I could have gone above ten on other artists, but, for now, this is the only time when I think going all the way up to fifty would be appropriate. And yet, it was still difficult to narrow it down. Go figure.
So, starting today and continuing throughout the month of November, I will be counting down my Top Fifty favorite Beatles songs. Why November? Well, it was actually this month, several years ago, in which I became a full fledged admirer of this group. Indeed, I remember it that specifically. And if your personal favorites aren't on this list, don't judge me. It's The Beatles! Almost everything is good, but not everything can make it. Anyway, let's kick things off with Numbers 50 to 41. Off we go.
#50. "Something" - I heard someone once say that this was the best love song ever. Obviously, I disagree, but it is a pretty good song. Now, I'm not a huge fan of George's music. Credit where it's due, though, when he was on, he was very on. And you can't not like a song that uses the word "woos".
#49. "P.S. I Love You" - Hey, they stole this title from that Gerard Butler movie. Okay, no, they didn't. The song came first, in case you didn't know. This is just a sweet little tune with a sweet little premise about letter writing. Which I love, by the way. Oh, and it might be about being in love a little.
#48. "Don't Let Me Down" - I know The Beatles were very much influenced by a lot of different genres. Seems they went a bit bluesy with this one. Maybe. Look, I'm not great with identifying genres that aren't super obvious. All I know is that this is great. Great enough to be played on a rooftop. What does that tell you?
#47. "All I've Got To Do" - This seems like such a simple song, but I happen to think it holds an important message. Something about mutual respect and feelings and being there for your significant other. How nice. It sucks when one person has to do all the work. Trust me. I know.
#46. "Good Day Sunshine" - I first heard this in a Sun Chips commercial. I hate you, Michael Jackson! What? He owned it; he sold it. He sucks. Moving on. Whatever commercialization has been thrust upon this tune, it's still some superb songwriting at work. And the fact that I like it, even though I love rainy days, says a lot.
#45. "You Won't See Me" - Communication is such an important thing in relationships. Imagine how much more that was true in the days before call waiting and voice mail, when communication was so much more difficult. Or so I've been told. This is a little something to remind us of that.
#44. "Every Little Thing" - Okay, this seems to be a song about a guy who really appreciates his girlfriend...because "every little thing" she does, she does for him. Really? EVERY little thing? I mean, doing things for the one you love is nice and all, but that might be a bit much.
#43. "Only a Northern Song" - I have no idea what this song is about (you might hear that a lot with this countdown), but it's the only one I included from the Yellow Submarine soundtrack. I must have thought it was the best. And it's another George song. Interesting.
#42. "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" - Okay, everyone who thinks this song is about LSD, you get on the left sidewalk. Everyone who thinks it was inspired by a picture that John's son drew, you get on the right sidewalk. And everyone who has no idea what I'm talking about can get off the street entirely and just go home.
#41. "Lovely Rita" - I must say, what I love most about this song is the unique rhythm and beat. It just makes me really happy. And that end part where they sing "Lovely Rita, meter maid"? Sweet! And it's about a career woman, so there you go.
And there you have the first installment of my Top 50 from The Beatles series. Stay tuned. The next one will be posted shortly. So, if you haven't seen your favorite yet, be patient. You never know.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer