Monday, November 21, 2016

Top 50 Beatles Songs: 20 -11

Greetings,

Oh, look at that! We are getting closer and closer to revealing the Number One spot and the best Beatles song of all time, according to me! But not today, so you're gonna have to be little more patient. Off we go!

#20. "I Am the Walrus" - So...I'm weird. It's a thing I have, my weirdness. And I have accepted it fully. It is songs like this that helped me do that, because it is WEIRD! But it's also cool. So, I figured if it can be weird and cool, then so can I. Throw in a bit of creepiness at the end there, and you've got yourself a bizarro classic.

#19. "Here, There and Everywhere" - And now for the other end of the spectrum. This a pretty normal song, but it's also quite beautiful. Sometimes all you need is a simple love song to get the point across. And Paul does quite a fine job with the vocals here, very different from his work on "Oh, Darlin'" that I mentioned, but still effective. Well, done.

#18. "This Boy" - The first time I heard this song was, once again, on that show Just the Ten of Us, where the four daughters were singing it. And they were singing it as "This Girl". And all I can remember was my mom saying that they were singing it wrong. Technically, she was correct, but if you get a chance to sing this song, even altered, take it!

#17. "Misery" - For me, this was the high point of the first album by The Beatles, and I heard they actually wrote it for a young singer, but her manager or something thought it was too much of a downer. No, not that kind of downer. Those came later. I cannot pinpoint any detailed reason as to why I love this song so much, but I do. Oh, wait. It's because "the world is treating me bad". #Misery

#16. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - So...I'm still weird. But this time, I'm also existential...apparently. Yeah, I assume that there is some deep meaning to the lyrics here, but heck if I know what it is. I just know that it sounds different. And different can be very good.

#15. "Rain" - I love rain! It is my favorite kind of weather. And wasn't it so nice of the guys to write this song about it for me...many years before I was born, but still. Actually, I heard they wrote it after visiting Australia and running into some inclement weather there. And John also called it their first great psychedelic song. Sure, why not?

#14. "Yes, It Is" - For some reason, I always think this is one of the more lesser known Beatles songs. It shouldn't be, but it might be. Fun Fact, which is totally true, because Wikipedia: This song was John's attempt to rewrite the aforementioned "This Boy". Well, that didn't work out. Or did it?

#13. "All My Loving" - Another "letter" song. What do you know? Hey, I'm not complaining. I love handwritten letters! This better be about a handwritten letter. But even if it isn't, I can be forgiving. Because listen to that guitar work. Excellent!

#12. "The Long and Winding Road" - Okay, apparently, there is some controversy around the recording of this song. Something about overdubs and Phil Spector and Paul getting mad about something. Hang on a minute. Phil Spector got mad about something? Phil Spector maybe lost his cool? Phil Spector? Of all people? Surely, you jest. But let's put all that aside, because who cares? Whatever happened, we got this amazing song out of it.

#11. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" - So, this song is about an affair. Totes not cool, man. However, I cannot help but love this song from a purely musical standpoint. It's got a great rhythm, and the use of that sitar is done quite perfectly. Not too much, not too little, just right. And it helped to make it stand out on what is one of the best albums The Beatles ever made.

Well, thank you for joining me for the penultimate list. Soon, I will reveal my top picks for the best Beatles songs ever in the history of life. Not that I would ever want to build it up too much.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer