Greetings,
This is it. We have finally reached the last leg in the race to find out what the greatest Beatles song of all time is...according to me. I know, I know, but try and keep calm. If you read my other installments, you won't be surprised to find some obvious choices mixed in with a few obscure ones. In fact, I don't doubt that my #1 choice will be very unexpected. Don't you dare look yet! You have to read the whole list first. That's the rule. Well, enough rambling from me. Let's get to the Top Ten of my Top Fifty favorite songs by The Beatles.
#10. "Yer Blues" - This song...is awesome! I just love how gritty it is and how, for lack of a better word, bluesy it is. Funny thing though, it was written to be almost an exaggeration of British blues, being a bit satirical, but honest, nonetheless. Now that takes some serious talent.
#9. "Paperback Writer" - No, I did not put his on the list just because I am also a paperback writer. Although, that fact did give it a few extra points. And apparently, this song came to be after someone asked Paul if all he could write were love songs. I guess not. Also, those vocals at the beginning are excellent.
#8. "Hey, Jude" - Here's an obvious choice. I don't think anyone can deny that it's one of their best. And it also contained one of the best lines that Paul ever wrote: "The movement you need is on your shoulder." Can you believe he almost cut it out? Good thing John told him to keep it. Always listen to your best friend.
#7. "It's Only Love" - I heard the working title of this song was "That's a Nice Hat". I guess that could have worked. They've had weirder titles. Also, it seemed that John Lennon himself was not a fan of this one. Well, too bad. I think it's fantastic, and I sound great singing it. So there.
#6. "Free As a Bird" - I bet a lot of people didn't expect to see this one at all, much less so high on the list. But there's just something about it that makes me feel, you know? Maybe because this, along with "Real Love", gave us new Beatles music that we never thought we would get. Also, the video for this song is my favorite music video of all time.
#5. "Dear Prudence" - That bass line. Do I even have to say anything more about this song to justify its position on this list? NO! So, I'm not gonna!
#4. "If I Fell" - Whilst I do find myself far more attracted overall to the second half of the Beatles career, I must say this is one of the most perfect love songs I have ever heard. I love how its simple and complex all at the same time, creating this rather magical piece of music.
#3. "Across the Universe" - As I've said before, I am a lyric snob. I have no idea what the lyrics in this song mean. I don't think John did either. And yet, I find it something of a masterpiece. Sometimes just stringing a bunch of beautiful words together, whether it all makes sense or not, is enough to make something very special.
#2. "In My Life" - Some people consider this the greatest song by The Beatles. Darn close. I do love how the melody and the lyrics fit each other so perfectly. Not all songs can do that. And I heard that John said it was really the first time he got very personal about his own life with his lyrics. Any time a writer can do that, they are already ahead.
#1. "Cry, Baby, Cry" - SURPRISE!! Yeah, I bet a lot of you did not see this one coming. In fact, I doubt that this is anyone's favorite Beatles song, besides me. But I cannot help it. I am a person who loves songs that I can see. By that, I mean that the lyrics here paint such a vivid picture, and it is a picture that has always reminded me of some kind of fantasy world in the vein of Alice in Wonderland. That kind of makes sense, actually, since it was apparently inspired by a nursery rhyme. Sounds like it. I don't know. I just hear something new every time I hear this song. And that is something I love and always want in the music to which I listen.
And there you have it. It has been a long trip, but now you know the FIFTY Beatles songs that I consider their best, my personal favorites. I hope you enjoyed all these lists and if you haven't gone through your Beatles collection in a while, I hope I inspired you to go back and listen to some of this amazing music.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer