Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Top 50 Beatles Songs: 30 - 21

Greetings,

Welcome back! Time for the third installment in out Top 50 Beatles countdown. You know the drill. Let's just get started.


#30. "And I Love Her" - And this is when we all began disobeying the rule about conjunctions at the start of a sentence. And I just did it...twice. For real, though, is there a better way to lead us into this world of grammar misbehaving than with a beautiful love song? No. The answer is no. Also, LOVE that acoustic guitar riff thing.

#29. "Oh, Darling" - Some of us may enjoying gettin' down with this song by way of our own personal karaoke machine. Not me. But some people. I'm sure of it. Anyway, I consider this one of Paul's best vocal performances, because he really went for it, and I'm like 90% sure he had a soar throat after that recording session. Or possibly before.

#28. "Penny Lane" - No, I'm not talking about the character in Almost Famous. Ha! Moving on. It is written about an actual road, though, one near where John lived when he was a little boy. See, inspiration is everywhere. Good thing he didn't live near, I don't know, a Fourth Street or something, because that would not be a very good title. No offense to people who live on a Fourth Street.

#27. "I Will" - This was one of those songs that they wrote over in India. It's just a nice, simple love song. Or maybe not, because I heard it took 67 takes to record. That seems like a bit much. Although, I always felt like Paul may have been a perfectionist. No judgment. It's just an observation.

#26. "Nowhere Man" - I so enjoy when a writer can lay their emotions out for the whole world to see. Whether it's about love or love gone wrong or trying to figure out where you're meant to go in life, which is what this about, it's so nice. It takes a gift...and some courage.

#25. "Real Love" - Here's something I bet you didn't think you'd see. A Beatles song from the 90's! Well...ish. This was a song that John was working on around '79 and '80, but it was revived for The Beatles Anthology in 1995. Paul, George and Ringo got together to make it happen, giving us the closest thing we ever got to a reunion, along with another song, which we may or may not get to later.

#24. "I've Just Seen a Face" - I dare you to listen to this song without bouncing back and forth and keeping with that awesome rhythm. You won't be able to do it. It's just too jovial. Seriously, I still can't believe that this was on the Help! album, but not in the movie. It would have been good for a chase scene or something.

#23. "From Me To You" - Not as good as From Justin To Kelly, but what are you gonna do? Wow, my jokes are on fire today or something. Anyway...this is some early music from the guys, and they got the idea/title from the letters section from something called New Musical Express. It was called "From You To Us". See what they did there?

#22. "Fool on the Hill" - This is was definitely one of the more calm and...let's say, normal moments from the Magical Mystery Tour album. But that makes it very necessary. Sometimes, you need a quiet moment within all the craziness. It served its purpose well.

#21. "No Reply" - She's cheating on you! I'm telling you right now, person in this song. She's cheating on you. Once again, this was a time before call waiting and voice mail, so getting in touch with someone wasn't as easy back then. So, perhaps, I can give this young lady in the song the benefit of the doubt, but..yeah, no. She's cheating.

And there is yet another group of fantastic songs that I love. More on the way! Stay tuned.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer