Greetings,
As you all know, I had may plans for this blog in November, ones that I still promise to carry out. I even had something fun planned to share for this weekend. Sadly, though, I have to forego that one in particular, due to some very heartbreaking news that we got. The incomparable Leonard Cohen has passed away at the age of 82.
I have mentioned before how much I admire this man as an artist. He is what I strive to be as a writer, what many of us strive to be as writers, someone who can effect people deeply through words, someone who can create unimaginable beauty by stringing the right letters together, someone who can make music from the silence. Strangely enough, while I can honor and thank this man who inspired me as a writer, I am finding it difficult to come up with the right words in this moment. Some grief is beyond what can be spoken, but the same can be said for gratitude. So, I'm just going to leave you with something that I wrote years ago about Leonard Cohen, something that expresses how I felt and still feel about what he gave the world.
Thank you, dear sir, for your legacy. You will be missed forever.
SPEAK LIKE A SONG
They are strung together like priceless pearls
That make us gaze and sigh,
Wanting to possess them all,
Trying to reach that high.
You release them like a melody,
Though it doesn't always exist.
You shape them well and hit the target
While all the others have missed.
I could listen to you talk for days,
And, with each turn, I find something new.
And all the posers with their futile attempts,
None could ever share like you.
There is a truth that lies within your air
That makes us able to trust.
When the rest pour out hollow phrases,
You speak like a song to us.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer