Greetings,
So, I decided to do another of my Best/Worst Hit Songs of Random Year lists. And to choose my random year, I did a Twitter poll. As usual I got not a lot of votes, but in the end, the winner was 1978. I'm happy about that, because I do, indeed, like the music of the seventies. Well, some of it. And today we'll be talking about the stuff I like, obviously. Oh, and I hope you all like the Gibb family. For real.
Now, let's go over the rules. I am only including songs from Billboard's Hot 100 Year End list, because I need boundaries, and none of the songs can have appeared on a previous list. Are we good? Okay, let's do this.
#10. "Come Sail Away" Styx - Alright, shut up! I like Styx. I can't help it. Do I have some issues with certain members of the band? Perhaps. But I try to not let that impede how I feel about their songs. And I do like this song, a lot. I also do occasionally have a soft spot for these kind of epic-y, arena rock anthems. I just wonder if my bringing up this tune will bring back to people's minds the Eric Cartman cover from the 90's.
#9. "Baby Come Back" Player - I think most people would consider Player to be a "One Hit Wonder" band, even though they have another song on this very Year End Chart. But this song is the one they tend to be remembered for. Understandably so. It is a great song and I love that very recognizable riff in there. Not to mention the falsetto notes in the bridge. Yeah, falsetto must have been a music fad at the time. More on that later.
#8. "Emotion" Samantha Sang - Remember what I said about liking the Gibb family? Well, here's the first song to appear on this list that was written by a couple of them, specifically Barry and Robin. Again, I do believe that Samantha Sang would also be considered a "One Hit Wonder", but if you're gonna be one, may as well have a Gibb brothers song as your hit. But she does give a great performance and her voice certainly lends itself to the kind of music they were writing at the time.
#7. "Dust in the Wind" Kansas - Nothing like a little Prog Rock, am I right? Anyway, I have always loved this song, but I never really knew why. I just happened to do so. But in doing my research for this list, I found out that the lyrics were inspired by a Bible verse and a book of Native American poetry. So many things that I love. That explains a lot. And let's be real. These are some beautiful lyrics we've got here.
#6. "If I Can't Have You" Yvonne Elliman - More from the Brothers Gibb. Most of you may know that this song appeared on the somewhat successful soundtrack to a little movie called Saturday Night Fever. I would call it one of the highlights of that album. The song is amazing and the lovely voice of Yvonne Elliman takes it to another level. Funny thing, she wasn't even supposed to sing this particular song for the album, but I'm glad that someone decided otherwise.
#5. "Just the Way You Are" Billy Joel - I love Billy Joel. He is so much fun. And he certainly knows how to write a beautiful love song. Case in point, this one. And he also knows how to be inspired. The title was actually taken from a line in the song "Rag Doll" by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. And since these two songs sound basically nothing alike, he did things right. I love when one genius can learn from the genius of others.
#4. "Last Dance" Donna Summer - Donna Summer was amazing, in so many ways. Seriously, that voice is downright legendary. And while she had quite a few hit songs around this time, I think this one might be the best of hers. It is certainly the best she did this year. I love how many levels there are to this song, starting off as a slow ballad and then picking things up so we can all get our dance on. I think it was one of the songs that gave some legitimacy to the whole disco genre. But, then again, so did she.
#3. "The Name of the Game" ABBA - Some people think that "Dancing Queen" is the greatest song that ABBA ever gave us. Those people are sheep. For real, though, while I can appreciate what is probably considered their most loved song, this one has always been my favorite of theirs. And I hear that the opening use of synthesizers was inspired by Stevie Wonder. Good times.
#2. "Shadow Dancing" Andy Gibb - This was actually the Number One song for the whole year, but sorry, Andy. You're only Number Two with me. At least the song is. This is one of my favorites from the youngest of the Gibb brothers, and I think one of the reasons I love it so much is because all four of them wrote it together. In my eyes, that makes it very special. And I don't even really know what "Shadow Dancing" actually means. I can guess, though.
#1. "How Deep is Your Love" Bee Gees - Even though there are times in the Bee Gees career that I favor much more than the Saturday Night Fever era, I must admit that this song is absolutely beautiful. They also know how to write and amazing love song, and this is one to be treasured. In amongst all that dance and disco music, it gives a quiet and sweet moment that we all need. And those harmonies are exquisite as always. Definitely one of their finest.
Okay, so those are all my favorites of the year. I know some were obvious, but 1978 had some really great music. And some not so great music as well. Come back tomorrow for that.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer