Sunday, August 23, 2015

Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 1958

Greetings,

So, I've done one of these lists for every decade at least once, but I never covered anything from the 50's. And since there were only two, possibly three, years from that decade with Year End Charts for Billboard, I just picked this one. This was tough, because, as much as I like music from this era, I had my work cut out for me finding the songs I didn't know. But mission accomplished. I found some really good ones from 1958, and here they are.

#10. "Born Too Late" The Poni-Tails - I can't be the only one who dealt with this, but when I was younger I never had crushes on guys my own age. Nope, always older, because my hormones hated me, it would seem. So, every time this song came on that compilation CD commercial, I would say, "This is my jam". Or whatever people said that was the equivalent to that when I was a kid.

#9. "Tears On My Pillow" Little Anthony and the Imperials - My, we've come a long way. Nowadays, tears/teardrops fall on guitars, back then, they fell on pillows. Well, they've gotta go somewhere. Anyway, I like this song. It's actually one of my favorites from the Grease soundtrack. Granted, that was the Sha Na Na version, but I say it still counts.

#8. "Tequila" The Champs - This song makes me think of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Next!

#7. "Peggy Sue" Buddy Holly & the Crickets - And here everyone thinks that nerdy guys being popular is a thing that this generation came up with. No, like I've said, no one invents anything new anymore. Kidding aside, Buddy Holly was pretty great, but, of course, there's always a bittersweet edge to his music, because we'll never know what could have been. No, we do know. He just would have gotten greater.

#6. "All I Have To Do Is Dream" The Everly Brothers - I've noticed that during certain years in music, things can get kind of samey sounding. So, in order to stand out, you really have to stand out. And easily, The Everly Brothers are one of my favorite artists of this time. Maybe of all time. And this is obviously one of their best known songs, again one of my favorites. But not my actual favorite. Stay tuned.

#5. "Fever" Peggy Lee - I've heard so many versions of this song. Some good, some bad, some that should completely not exist. You know who you are! But, let's be honest, Peggy Lee's version is the best. Anyone who can add a little edge to the music world in the 50's will get my vote every time.

#4. "All the Way" Frank Sinatra - Okay, truth time. The first time I heard this song was by way of a Celine Dion cover. What? It was the 90's. Everyone liked and listened to Celine Dion. Even if you didn't, you did. But whomever may be singing it, I really enjoy this song. Just because love songs are plentiful does not mean it's easy to write a good one. This is a good one.

#3. "Twilight Time" The Platters - Some groups have the kind of music that will always calm you down in the best possible way. The Platters are very good at this. Just lie back, sigh and enjoy. Also, SEE! Not everything with "Twilight" in the title is awful.

#2. "Do You Wanna Dance?" Bobby Freeman - Again, I know this song, mostly, because of the cover by The Beach Boys. It also didn't hurt that Dennis took the lead that time. But this version is fantastic, too. Considering my skill as a dancer, I rarely gravitate toward dancing songs. So, it takes something really special for me to want to hear one. It's okay, though. I dance on the inside. It's really best for everyone that way.

#1. "Devoted to You" The Everly Brothers - Oh, look at that. The Everly Brothers again. I told you guys I love them. And this song is actually my favorite of theirs. It's one of the most beautiful love songs I've ever heard, and it's from a time that, when people spoke of being devoted to someone else forever, I honestly believe them. Don't get much of that these days. I guess some things about the 50's weren't so bad, after all.

Oh, wait. Did I say that things weren't so bad in the 50's? I have a feeling I might change my mind about that tomorrow. Tune in again for my Worst Of list. Seriously, though, THESE 50's songs are great!


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer