Saturday, August 1, 2015

Not Another Happy Ending - Movie Review

Greetings,

I remember hearing Alanis Morissette say in her Behind the Music that it was a surprise to her that she could be creative and write even when she wasn't miserable. And considering what made her famous, I can see why she felt that way. But, as a writer, I feel she's not alone. Many of us strive on our misery to turn it into creativity, which might make some of us think that super-happiness is a bump in the road to our finished product. Is it true or is it all in our heads? Well, that's the main theme of the movie Not Another Happy Ending, and here's my review of it.

Not Another Happy Ending is a 2013 film that stars Karen Gillan (calm down, Doctor Who fans!) as Jane Lockhart, a quirky young woman who is an aspiring writer. She meets a publisher, Tom, played by stan Weber, who gives her a two book deal. However, since he believes her novel, which is based on her tumultuous relationship with her father, needs some improvement, he agrees to work with her on it. During this time, Jane feels like she gets to know Tom quite well, but does she really?

After Jane's book is released and it becomes very successful, her relationship with Tom gets even more rocky than it was before. She starts a romance with a guy named Willie, played by Henry Ian Cusick, who is writing the screenplay for the movie adaptation of her book. Their relationship feels a bit forced and unnatural, but I think that was the point. I don't think we were ever supposed to root for them and we were supposed to question why they were together at all. But, for some reason, all of this apparently makes Jane very (gasp!) happy, which is making her unable to finish the second book she owes Tom. That, in turn, causes their professional relationship to extend farther than either of them want it to do so. And Jane is so close, being blocked by nothing more than that one last chapter. Yeah, I feel her pain. And we all wonder what, if anything or anyone, will get her to finish.

And that is basically what this film is about. It's not the most plot heavy movie I've ever seen, and that's fine. I actually like when it's more about the characters, and this one really is more about that. It's more about their own actions moving them along, rather than some outside source doing it. And I really do like the characters in this movie, for better or worse. I love Karen Gillan, and she is adorable as Jane, but also kind of feisty in her own way. Stan Weber, I had never heard of, and his character Tom is a little grating at times, but again, I think that's the point. Because he's not grating to the point where you completely hate him. It's just enough to be okay.

Besides our two mains and also Willie (I really like Henry Ian Cusick, BTW!), we get a lot of other great characters and actors. We get Gary Lewis as Jane's dad, Iain De Caestecker as Roddy, Tom's wacky friend, and Amy Manson as Darsie, the protagonist of Jane's book. Yes, they do go there, in a very Ruby Sparks kind of way, which is fine, because I love that movie. It's not exactly the same, though, so it's okay. But I think all of the secondary characters and actors fit into the story quite nicely.

So, I believe I will recommend Not Another Happy Ending, especially if you like rom-coms that are a little less overly happy. This is not a depressing movie, by any means, but it does have a few more moments of drama and high emotional content than most of your average rom-coms do. Perhaps, that's why I like it so much. You think you know how it will end, and, even if you're right, it gives you enough reasons to stop and say "Well, maybe not" so that you might get surprised a bit. It might not be the most intensely groundbreaking film ever, but, again, why does it have to be? Why can't it just be a charming little movie that one can sit down and enjoy easily? It can be, and it is.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer