Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Annie (1982) - Movie Musical Review

Greetings,

I know I've spoken a lot about appreciating things in your life, and how something unfortunate may have to happen in order so you do exactly that, but considering what I'm talking about today, it bears repeating. I recently visited some relatives, and they have a small child whose cinematic taste buds have yet to develop, as it happens. So, whilst I was there, she forced me to watch Annie - the 2014 remake. Spoilers, it was awful. But it sure did make me remember how much I liked the 80's version. So, let's talk about that one.

Annie is a 1982 film based on the Broadway musical of the same name which centers around the titular character, an orphan who longs for the day she will find her parents. I mean, do I really have to tell you the story of Annie? We all know it and love it. But for those of you who were deprived as children, I will continue to give you the highlights.

It begins in an orphanage full of children, which would normally make me say, "And I'm out!", but when you usher it in with a lovely song sung by Aileen Quinn, who plays Annie, I am actually in. Yes, red-headed Annie, sticking out like a sore thumb amongst a barrage of brunettes and maybe a couple of dirty blondes, sits in the window and sings her expected "I want" song that must be included in every musical. At this point, we begin to get introduced to some of the other girls, like tough and bossy, Pepper, the girl with the pigtails, the "Oh, my goodness" girl, and Molly, the one who I can't decide whether she is annoying or adorable. It just depends on the scene, I guess. Although, I have no idea why they're so upset. They get to live with Carol Burnett. Okay, fine, it's Carol Burnett as mean Miss Hannigan, but still. She's the best thing about this movie, bar none.

Of course, after some jail break shenanigans, a woman named Grace Farrell, played by Ann Reinking, shows up and chooses Annie to spend a week with Oliver Warbucks. He is played by Albert Finney, and is a billionaire...during the Great Depression. Wow, that's rude. Anyway, though he's not thrilled about it, miss Farrell convinces him to agree to the arrangement, in order to help his public image. Wait, so, celebrities doing insincere charity work to make themselves look good isn't a new thing? Crap, this generation hasn't invented anything! But aside from that, I don't know why Warbucks would have a problem with an orphan hanging around when his entire staff seems to break into song out of nowhere. I'd think that would be more intrusive. Oh, and Punjab. Just Punjab. Thank you, Geoffrey Holder for being awesome every second. And for convincing us that if we, too, drink 7Up, we can be just as cool as you. Allegedly.

Now, a boring movie would just let Annie enjoy her life with Warbucks, swimming in the indoor pool, going to movies where no one else is allowed in and meeting presidents, but, oh, no! We need some third act hijinks. And who better to give us that than Tim Curry and Bernadette Peters. Yeah, this thing just got cranked from a ten to an eleven. Okay, that's a bit generous. This film is not perfect, but I'll say it went from a seven to an eight and a half. That sounds fair. Point is, Burnett, Curry and Peters. Good times will be had by all. Right up until the end. Which I won't spoil for you. Unless I just did.

Okay, since this is a musical, I guess it's time to talk about the music. It's pretty darn good. A lot of classics from "Maybe" to "It's a Hard Knock Life" to, of course, "Tomorrow", which I think all came from the Broadway show. But as much as I like the music on its own, I absolutely adore the dancing, especially from Ann Reinking. I really hope that in some circles, somewhere, she is regarded as one of the greatest dancers of all time. I certainly think she is. So, even if you have issues with the non-musical aspects of this film, you'll probably be entertained by the rest of it.

So, even though I and many other people really like this movie, apparently, it had some mixed reviews. Very mixed. I don't know how many movies have gotten Academy Award nominations AND Razzie nominations, but this is one of them. Go figure. But who are you going to trust? Them or me? That's right. I guess it could be worse. It could have gotten Razzie noms and NOTHING from the Oscars, like Mommie Dearest criminally did, but that's a discussion for another day...that we will have!

Look, I know most people have already seen Annie, but if you haven't, go ahead and do it. It's very good, in my opinion, and it was part of my childhood. I sang and danced along, when no one was watching, of course, and I'm totally not being blinded by my nostalgia goggles. It's just a good movie. Show it to your kids. They'll appreciate you more. Or they'll want an elephant in the back yard. One or the other.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer