Monday, December 29, 2014

Top Ten Worst Hit Songs of 2014

Greetings,

And now for my Worst Of list. As I said yesterday, I do think that, as a whole, music was better than 2013. Slightly. Not that it could get much worse. But I'm happy to report that of all my crappy song picks for this year, only one of them was in Billboards Hot 100 for 2014. Yay. Again, that is where I take all my picks from, and also again, no repeats from last year. Be prepared. I am probably going to be a tad vicious, but it's only because I want better music to listen to. I think I deserve it. I think we all deserve it. So, let's get this over with.

#10. "Shake It Off" Taylor Swift - I can't believe I have to do this. I like Taylor Swift. But this is just wrong. Haters?! You're talking about haters!? No, Taylor! You're better than this. You are devolving lyrically. At least, you are in THIS song. Look, you can have a mature outlook on life and it doesn't have to be overtly sexually, as so many past female singers have assumed. I mean, if that's what you're worried about. Like I said, Taylor. Love you, but do better.

#9. "Loyal" Chris Brown feat. Lil Wayne & French Montana or Too Short or Tyga - I don't know what all of this "or" business is, but that's how it showed up on the Billboard site. Anyway, I seriously don't like this song for so many reasons. Just stop it.

#8. "Partition" Beyonce - Seriously, what is this? It's not good. It's just not. I can scarcely even call it a song, but that is what I can say about most of what I heard on this out-of-nowhere album that Beyonce put out. I don't get it. Maybe it's just me. Beyonce, you are not untalented. Please use your power for good.

#7. "23" Mike Well Made It feat. Miley Cyrus, Wiz Khalifa & Juicy J - Hey, guys who are a part of this song, step aside. You are not the problem here. I mean, WOW! I did not think that Miley could get more annoying than she was in 2013. Little did I know. Seriously, what is she doing? I, for real, just want her to go away for a while, grow up and then she can come back and we'll see if she has anything substantial to say. My hopes are dim, but they do exist.

#6. "Animals" Maroon 5 - If you read my review of the movie Begin Again, you'll know that I gave Adam Levine much praise for his acting. I still think he deserves it, but I may have been subconcsiously hoping that if he got enough praise for his acting that he would get away from music. Because I really do not like Maroon 5. Oh, sure, I liked them in the beginning when they had a unique and good sound. Now, if they are being unique it's also not that great. I'm not kidding. This song terrifies me, and the video makes it worse. Try harder or just stop.

#5. "Burnin' It Down" Jason Aldean - So, what the heck happened to country music? When did it stop being good and when did it stop being...country? No lie. I can't believe that some of the best and most authentic country music I've been getting in the past few years is stuff that is written for a TV show. (What's up, cast of Nashville? God bless!) There were so many terrible country songs this year that I could have put on here, but when it came to songs from the guys, I had to pick this one. It's just terrible. And it is not country at all. It just sounds like awful, club music. Honestly, I used to go to country for the good stuff, the good stories and the good lyrics. Well, those days are pretty much over. But they can come back. Please.

#4. "Something Bad" Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood - Oh, look. More "country". Okay, I never bought this whole "rebel" act from Miranda Lambert. It always felt like a gimmick to me. I'm not saying it is; I'm just saying it feels that way to me. And I sure as heck don't buy it from Carrie Underwood. I wish she could just pick what kind of an artist she wants to be, what kind of woman she wants to portray herself as and go with it. I mean, was this a joke song or something? I just..no. No, thank you.

#3. "Dark Horse" Katy Perry feat. Juicy J - Ya know, when I do my writing, if I happen to put in some well-known phrase, I make darn sure that I am getting the meaning of it right before I commit it to paper. Apparently, Katy Perry does not. Does she even know what "dark horse" means? I feel like her handlers just stuck her in a room somewhere and told her to be edgy, and this is what happened. Sweet Moses, I didn't think she could get any worse than her vapid music, but this fake depth is even worse. I am clearly not a fan of Katy Perry's, but even I know that she can do better than this. You wanna be edgy these days, Katy? Go back to your Christian roots.

#2. "Anaconda" Nicki Minaj - I had a really hard time deciding between what would be Number One and what would be Number Two. Clearly, I made a choice. Yeah, this song is ear-bleedingly terrible. And the video is even worse. Yeah, we get it, Nicki Minaj. You have a butt. Congratulations. Oh, and could you have picked a more obvious sample for this...song? So, here's the question. Since I have nothing but disdain for this thing, why is it only Number Two? Well, though I am not, never have been and probably never will be a big fan of Nicki Minaj, I don't think she is untalented. I actually think she is better than a lot of the stuff she puts out there. I've heard her sing and she is good. Because of that, I'm not mad that she is famous. I just hope she starts doing music that is worthy of her talent.

#1. "Wiggle" Jason Derulo feat. Snoop Dogg - Hey, remember how I said I wasn't mad because Nicki Minaj is famous? Well, let's move on to someone else about whom I feel very, very differently - Jason Derulo. I am not a fan of this person to an alarming degree. I really have zero clue as to how he has a career. I mean, for me personally, his songs have ranged from nondescript to unbearable. That is, when I even know they ARE his songs. What I'm trying to say is that I don't find him terribly memorable. But then this "Wiggle" thing happened, and I wish so much that I could forget it. Again, with the butts! Yes, WE ALL HAVE BUTTS! MOVING ON!!! It's just weak, and I have nothing else to say.

There. Finally, I am done with my personal Worst Of list for the music of 2014. Whilst I think this year was a little better than last year, we have so far to go until we can get back to being able to say a whole year was great for music. At least, when it comes to the stuff that gets popular. I am praying and working on my own music. I hope I am good enough to help. Yeah, we'll see about that.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer