Sunday, December 28, 2014

Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 2014

Greetings,

And so another year of music has come and gone. Now it's time for me to make my lists of what I thought stood out, for better or worse. Actually, for better AND worse. I did this last year for the first time, and it worked out pretty good, so I think this is going to be an annual thing.

Okay, here is the criteria for these lists. I limit myself to whatever showed up on the Billboard Year End Hot 100 Singles Chart. That's why I call it "Hit Songs". Also, even though some songs overlap years, there will be no repeats of what made it onto my 2013 lists. I mean, some of them certainly would have qualified, but you can go back and read those posts to find out which ones.

Anyway, we're going to start with what I consider the best hit songs of 2014, just my opinion, of course, because I like to give the good news first. So, let's get started.

#10. "Problem" Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea - I have become less enthusiastic about Ariana Grande in the past year. For many reasons. And I have yet to get into the whole Iggy Azalea. And Big Sean, who is also a part of this, but uncredited for some reason, I only know because of who he's been dating. And yet, I really like this song. Though I do tend to pay more attention to lyrics, it is certainly the music that caught my attention here. It sounds kind of old school, and, boy, do I love that saxophone? Good times.

#9. "Say Something" A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera - I know. I'm shocked, too. Me, putting Christina Aguilera on the BEST list? Crazy! Truth is, this is actually a very, simple and lovely song. And, holy crap! I think Ms. Aguilera finally learned how to hold back a little with the singing, which makes her sound a hundred times better than when she does that obnoxious yelling thing. Good girl. Yes, that is the best I can do when complimenting her. And, of course, her collaborators, who I've never heard of, were very impressive, as well. Pleasant surprises all around.

#8. "Boom Clap" Charli XCX - Okay, so a couple of things made me think I was going to hate this song. Not that I prejudge or anything. First of all, its association with The Fault in Our Stars. I mean, that still doesn't help, but I won't hold that against it either. Second, it's called "Boom Clap" for crying out loud. I did not have high hopes. And yet, we get a really good, unadulterated pop song. We do not get a lot of those anymore.

#7. "Pompeii" Bastille - So, this is a weird one. I mean, it came out around the same time as the movie Pompeii, but the song was good. The movie was not. I don't know. I just like the sound of it, the structure and all that, and it doesn't really sound like anything else on the radio, which is very good these days. Something not derivative? What a twist!

#6. "Classic" MKTO - Who are these guys? I have no idea. Apparently, they are from some Nickelodeon show, and...is that Walt from Lost? Seriously, what is happening here? Okay, so I never heard this song until I was making this list, and it just put a smile on my face. A rare thing to happen when I listen to current music. I guess I just like how it's all about the guys being gentlemen, and treating a woman like a lady, and - you're not gonna believe this - NOT calling her a ho! MIRACLES! Yeah, I don't even know what to do with a song like this, except like it enough to put it on this list. Good song, guys.

#5. "Happy" Pharrell Williams - Considering that last year, the Hot 100 #1 song was #1 on my Worst Of list, it's nice that this year's #1 is on my Best Of list. Very nice, Pharrell. This song is so much more respectable than that one. And what an appropriate title. It legit does make me feel happy. And it makes me think of the Despicable Me Minions. I don't think I could ask for much more.

#4. "Sing" Ed Sheeran - Ya know, "guy with acoustic guitar" performers are kind of like sugar cookies. They have the potential to be quite boring and, well, cookie cutter. But in the right hands, they can be very special. Ed Sheeran is not a boring sugar cookie. He has proven to have a great sound and a unique voice. I love that. Oh, and I think Pharrell had something with this one, too. You are on a role here, my friend. Also, I love that Ed Muppeted himself for the video. I thank you for that, sir

#3. "Team" Lorde - So, apparently, Lorde hates the music industry despite being a part of it. And I love her for that. I love that she is not scared to call people out on all their bull crap. And she's barely 18. How is she more mature than people who have been around for a very long time? I don't know, but keep it up, girl. She's another one that I hope stays around for a while, and I am actually excited to see what she does once she gets older and has even more to say. My hopes are high.

#2. "Chandelier" Sia - So, Sia kind of has the career I long to have myself, which consists mostly of writing for other people. But then every couple of years reminding the world that she sings, too, and she is amazing. Not that I'm saying I am amazing. I just wish I was. Anyway, "Chandelier" certainly has reminded everyone that Sia is not only gifted as a writer but as a singer, as well. Keep doing that, Sia. We need people like you. A LOT!

#1. "Burn" Ellie Goulding - I'm not a huge fan of EDM, but when someone can take it and, through lyrics and production, make it something deeper than what is expected, I have to give credit for that. Over the past couple of years, Ellie Goulding has done that very well. She did it with "Lights", now she did it with "Burn". She tries hard to make things as excellent as possible. The fact that she tries at all to make good music puts her leaps and bounds over most "artists" these days. I look forward to what the future holds for her and what her music holds for us.

So those are my favorites for 2014. We got some pretty good stuff this year, as a whole maybe better than last year. Let's hope it starts a trend. However, considering that we still have to get to the worst stuff, I'm not sure if it is. Anyway, tune in tomorrow for the bads.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer