Friday, December 12, 2014

Top Ten Dr. Phil Quotes

Greetings,

Alright, I'm just gonna throw this out there - I like Dr. Phil. Yeah, I really do. I find him amusing and helpful, which is something that not many people are, believe it or not. So, since this is the time when we are all deciding what our New Year's resolutions are going to be, the ones will absolutely not fail to keep, I thought I'd share some of my favorite quotes from Dr. Phil McGraw, a guy who tires to help people better the lives of others. And it's not his fault if people don't listen. Take that! By the way, I do know that not everyone is a fan of the doctor, for whatever reason. That's fine with me, and I don't think it bothers him all that much either. But I personally enjoy him and think he does want to help. That's good enough for me.

Anyway, I should probably give a disclaimer. Whilst I have heard Dr. Phil actually say some of these things, I did get some of them from places like Brainy Quotes and some internet memes. So, if any of these are inaccurate, I certainly do apologize. But they are all pretty good, and I would certainly claim them if I could. I even added my two cents in there, as I tend to do. So, let's get started.

Honorable Mention: "I just am not good at math." - This only gets a mention because it's actually not that great of a quote in and of itself. However, it' nice to see someone who is not good at math be very successful. There is hope for me yet.

#10. "Unless you know who you are, you will always be vulnerable to what people say." And that is why I was such a mess before I realized I was a writer. All I had to figure out who I was were the things that people were telling me. And they weren't saying very many good things. But I know how awesome I am now.

#9. "No dog ever peed on a moving car." - Did I mention that Dr. Phil is from the South? Because, really, where else are you going to get something like that? Anyway, I think he just means that you have to keep going forward or the 'not good' will catch up with you. In the case of this specific quote, the 'VERY not good'. Plus, I love dogs.

#8. "We teach people how to treat us." - So, either I was a terrible teacher, or I had terrible students, or both, because most people in my life have treated me like crap. Yeah, I said most. But, aside from a few delusional people, I think I have subsequently taught them to give up on their aspirations of trying to break me. Because it just won't work.

#7. "Parents need to dial in and know what their kids are doing." - Excuse me? How dare you ask parents to be...parents to their children! Yeah, this might be one of those truths that he speaks that a lot of people do not want to hear. As someone who has worked in retail in the past, I can guarantee that a lot of parents are not interested in knowing what their kids are doing. Ignorance is bliss? I guess it is to them. For now.

#6. "Somewhere there is a village missing their idiot." - Um...just one? I think this might be one of Dr. Phil's most famous quotes. And, you know, it's funny, because it's true.

#5. "Sometimes you just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you." - Hmmm. I see what you're saying there, Dr. Phil, but I can't possibly give myself Tom Hiddleston. He must choose to give himself to me, his one true love. Right? But, SERIOUSLY, I agree with this quote %100. It's fine to rely on others, sometimes, but I've learned to never make it too much of a habit. You're going to have to rely on yourself at some point. May as well get in all the practice you can.

#4. "Awareness without actions is worthless." - Or, as the Bible says, 'Faith without works is dead'. Keeping good company there, Doctor.

#3. "A lot of people have tragic childhoods. But you know what? Get over it." - Your past can be a reason, but not an excuse. Sure, everything we go through, good and bad, plays a part in shaping who we are. And yet, at some point, we have to take responsibility for our lives and what we do with them. In other words, you don't exactly have to run from your past, but you cannot let your past run you.

#2. "When you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences." - I guess this quote kind of ties in to the previous one. I've known a lot of people, myself included on occasion, where they look at their current situation and say 'How did this happen?' Then, you look at what they've been doing and reply, 'Seriously?'

#1. "Let the haters be motivators." - There are moments when I almost feel bad for all of those people who have tried and continue to try to destroy me. It's like that hamster wheel scenario. I just want to say to them, 'Okay, you know you're not getting anywhere, right?' In fact, having multitudes of people tell me that I was a failure, whether with actions or words, has certainly driven me to succeed. I even thanked them all in my first book. It certainly hasn't been the only thing to push me forward, but we can all use extra fuel in our tanks.

And there it is. My Top Ten most favorite quotes from Dr. Phil. I don't even care if you like him or not, I think these quotes are full of some pretty good advice. And that tends to be not so bad. Plus, he has a wife who is gorgeous, inside and out, so he must be doing something right.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer