Saturday, August 9, 2014

True Whit by Whitney Port - Book Review

Greetings,

So the way that most people approach shopping is the way that I approach a trip to the library. Sometimes, I know what I'm going there to get; other times, I go to browse. On a recent visit to said library, I came across a book, and I checked it out, as you do. I don't believe it's a book that many people would think I would go near, but I'm pretty open when it comes to these things. The book in question is True Whit by Whitney Port. Don't know who that is? Well, the world was introduced to her on a little show called The Hills.

Sit back down!

Okay, I know that not everyone is a fan of this show. I know some people downright hated it. I know, because I was once one of those people. But then, I watched it and realized that it might be one of the greatest shows ever! That may or may not have been slightly scripted. Depends on who you ask. Who cares though? It was certainly entertaining, and, while some characters on it confirmed my prejudices about them being shallow and spoiled, I ended up really liking, and dare I say it, even respecting a couple of them. One of those who gets high praise from me is Miss Whitney. She went to college, she worked hard and she built her own little fashion empire. And, yes, I do know that being on The Hills and eventually The City probably helped with her success. But I won't say she didn't work at all just because she caught a few breaks. I'm pretty sure that most hard-working people who get very successful get some breaks here and there. Anyway, I'm getting away from topic here. Let's talk about the book.

True Whit, which has a tagline(?) of Designing a Life of Style, Beauty and Fun was released in 2011 and is, what I like to call, a lifestyle book. And not just because the words 'life' and 'style' are in said tagline. It's basically 220 pages or so of Whitney giving chapter by chapter advice on everything from fashion to dating to fitness and many things in between and beyond. To be fair, I did a quick, non-reading scan of this book, and it worried me. I just couldn't see the point, initially. I mean, not everyone who picks up this thing is going to be a 25-year-old, tall, thin, gorgeous blonde who already has a successful and fast-paced career in the heart of New York City. I am certainly not that person, because - hello! - I have brown hair. And yet, once I actually took the time to read it, I saw that it was not that bad. In fact, I'd say that it is a very well put together book.

I really like how it is structured, and I like all the pictures that are used for it, both professional and personal. Yeah, I gotta love a girl who has no problem reminding everyone of some fashion faux pas she may have committed. There are some instructions on simple but effective exercises, which is good, because there are also recipes. Yay! Tried some, like them, good times. And, as someone who has done well in the professional world, Whitney gives tips about dealing with workplace issues that can apply to you no matter where you work. That kind of brings me to what I like most about this book.

This easily could have been a very nauseating and infuriating attempt for this young woman to make a book saying, "If you are exactly like me, in every way, your life will be as enchanted and perfect as mine!" Yes, VERY easily it could have been that.
Thankfully, it's really not. As I said, we are not all what Whitney is, physically, professionally or personally, and I don't think she wants us to be. I really don't think Whitney Port was or is looking for minions. Hey, I could be totally wrong, but there seems to be a level of genuine sincerity here. I think that Whitney just wanted to help people out by giving advice about what she's been through and what she knows. I certainly don't get the feeling that she's telling young woman to "Be me!". More like "Be yourself, and if these little tips can help you be a better you, then go for it!" And there certainly is nothing wrong with taking advice, here and there, from other people to improve yourself, even if that other person is a celebrity.

Look, the bottom line is that this book has an audience. It might not exactly be me or you, as a whole, but, if your 22-year-old, recent graduate daughter picks it up, don't be worried. There are much worse books and much, much worse people that she could be getting a few tips from. Honestly, I like Whitney Port. She's always seemed quite nice and sincere, and she certainly doesn't seem to be damaged by her success. So, if you come across this book, I say give it a look. If for no other reason than that Mom's Chili Cheese Bite recipe!

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer