Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 1989

Greetings,

So, I think this is the fourth time I've done one of these lists, ranking songs of whatever year. And, yet again, I have chosen a year because of someone specific. I'm pretty much doing this as a gift to someone who was born in 1989, because it's cheaper than buying an actual gift. I'm not sure I would have picked this year, otherwise.

Even though I was born in the 80's, I have never been a huge fan of the music what came from it, generally speaking. Of course, there was some good stuff, but I don't really think that 1989 had much of it. It has a few gems, some was meh, and the rest...I can't even...just wait for tomorrow. Anyway, let's take care of the good stuff today. We'll tackle what's left later. As always, I get these from Billboard's Year End chart of said year. Gotta have some focus. And oh my, if this isn't going to expose my love of easy listening. Off we go.


#10. "Stand" R.E.M. - I've promised to always be completely honest with you guys. So, when it comes to R.E.M., let me be honest and say...I loathe this band. I have my reasons. Unfortunately, I have the rare gift of being able to separate artist and art, occasionally, and I do like some of their songs. It's weird, I know. Point is, I have an odd infatuation with this particular song. Maybe because it's not as, let's say, mopey and possibly pretentious as some of their other stuff. Thumbs up?

#9. "All This Time" Tiffany / "Lost in Your Eyes" Debbie Gibson - Yeah, I'm throwing in a tie again. Look, I had to do it. I wanted to include both of these songs, but I didn't want to cause another rivalry between these two ladies. Not that I'm certain there was one to begin with. Okay, I really like these songs, and they certainly let the girls show off some of their strengths. I'd like to think these made people notice their skills a bit more than usual, Tiffany with her voice and Debbie with her songwriting. I think these girls had more to offer than they were ever given proper credit for.

#8. "Look Away" Chicago - If one of my music review mentors ever sees this, he may hate me. But I cannot help it. I love Chicago. By this time, their former leader of sorts, Peter Cetera, had been gone for quite a while, and they had been trying to keep up with the success they had gained. It might not have been as prominent, but it was certainly still there.

#7. "How Can I Fall?" Breathe - Yeah, I know utterly nothing about this band. I think most people might know them better by way of another song, "Hands to Heaven", but that's about it. I have no fun facts, at all. But this song is awesome, in its own special way.

#6. "Toy Soldiers" Martika - If anyone knows this song today, it may most likely be because it was sampled by Eminem. Whatever. Those of who can remember the original, in its purest form, know that nothing can touch it. Also, I heard it was about drug addiction, and the lyrics used are quite creative and unique. I guess that can happen occasionally with hit songs.

#5. "Eternal Flame" The Bangles - Life has many great questions, and one of the greatest is this - Bangles or Go-Go's? Well, with me, I am always going to choose The Bangles. Save "Walk Like an Egyptian", I think this may be their most well-known song. And it's great. Sadly, though, according to Behind the Music, this was when things really started going downhill for the band personally. At least, they went out on something this good.

#4. "Listen to Your Heart" Roxette - Sweden has given us some great groups. We've got ABBA, Ace of Base(Shut up!) and these guys, Roxette. I don't know how well they may be remembered these days, but I guarantee their songs are still being played on the radio, as well they should. They had a few pretty good hits, but I consider this song to be their best. It's got all the things that a good, epic, power ballad of the 80's needs.

#3. "I'll Be Loving You(Forever) New Kids on the Block - Have I mentioned that I love New Kids on the Block? Because I do. This year was a good year for the Boston boys. They were everywhere. Therefore, if you did not like them, it was a bad year for you. Good for me, I liked them, still do. This was one of the biggest hits of their career, and it's a well-deserved honor. Oh, but if you have issues with a little thing called falsetto, run away. Run far, far away.

#2. "What I Am" Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians - So, when I watched the I Love the 80's specials on VH-1, they told me that in that decade there was a resurgence of hippies. Not just 'I have a tie-dye shirt, so I'm a hippie', but full-on hippies. I either was not aware of this or I forgot about it. Either way, I think this song may have been a reflection of that. At least, it didn't sound like anything else we were getting on the radio during that time. How nice that an artist can go against the flow ad still have some success.

#1. "Right Here Waiting" Richard Marx - I know, I know, but I can't help it. I just can't help it. I love this song SO MUCH! Some men just know what the ladies want to here, and he always did. Kidding aside, I have always thought that Richard Marx was an immensely talented musician. As I said, in amongst all the...whatever, there were a few gems this year. And this gem was the sparkliest.


And there are the best of 1989, according to me. I must say, finding ten(or eleven) good songs was not as hard of a challenge as I thought it would be. Of course, narrowing down the bad ones? Yeah, that took some effort. Join me tomorrow for that one.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer