Greetings,
When I hear someone come up with a good idea that I agree with, I can't help but share it. I recently found a video on the YouTubes and, for the life of me, I cannot remember who made it. Sadly, I can't give credit for said idea to the actual person. I will, however, correct this mistake should I ever find it. But I digress. The point is the idea and, as you may have guessed from the title of this post, the idea is theatre in the theater. Allow me to explain.
There are a boatload of theatre loving people in the world, like full on "people on the stage only getting one take" theatre. And what better place to find that than Broadway. Sadly, though, many fans will never be able to go to NYC to check out a classic, long-running show, and even more can't head there every month or so to catch the latest productions. So, is there any remedy for this so those who can't see this great shows due to finances or personal reasons or any reasons, really? Perhaps.
As I mentioned, this was not my idea, but what about showing live theatre in movie theaters? Yes, I know they do this occasionally with Fathom Events and whatnot, but they don't do it nearly enough. Also, the shows they present, in my opinion, aren't usually ones that can drum up much interest. But I am talking about doing events where shows currently running on Broadway are recorded and shown in movie theaters around the country. Not eight times a week, of course, like they're done in NYC. Just once or twice per production, so the actual, live shows won't lose a crap ton of money. Just for the people who really won't ever get the chance to go to the city see them. Actually, if you factor in that, they might even make more money. And despite what some people may believe, I don't think this will stop anyone from going to Broadway all together, as when they do they, it tends to be for the entire NYC experience, not only theatre.
Now, look, I can admit that I know zero about the logistics of doing something like this, but I'm sure someone does. And I get it. Maybe my believing that this could happen is insane. Maybe this is something that really could never happen. But for everyone who sits at home only ever being able to hear the news of the wonderful shows on Broadway, or have a singular performance at the Tony awards as the best they'll ever get from them, I certainly hope it does.
And my apologies to the YouTuber whose name I can't recall. I do know it was a guy, though. Does that narrow it down?
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer