Greetings,
Though I've never written it down officially, I have a list of movies in my head that I really wish I could be in. Not as an actress, but rather as a character. Some films create worlds that make people want to be a part of them. As I'm not one for fighting dragons or going into space, my choices tend to be more realistic. Happily, I have found another film I can add to that list, Tumbledown.
Tumbledown tells the story of Hannah, played by the wonderful Rebecca Hall, sans her British accent, as the widow of Hunter Miles, a musician who made one album that become a cult classic. She's living alone in a house in her home state of Maine, the one she was supposed to share with her husband for the rest of their lives, and trying to deal with her loss. She is also trying to write a biography of Hunter's life as not much was known about him by his fans, and she is the one with all the information, especially that which is extremely personal. However, she soon discovers that someone else is in town with hopes of also pulling together a biography, a writer from New York named Andrew McCabe, played by Jason Sudeikis. Reluctantly, Hannah agrees that, since Andrew actually knows the technical aspects of doing a book and she clearly does not, it might be a good idea for them to work together. Of course, things are rocky at first for many reasons, as wounds are still healing and Hannah is overwhelmingly protective of the legacy of the man she loves, but eventually they come to an understanding, both where their work and their lives are concerned.
I don't want to give away too much about the exact plot, because this is one of those films that doesn't exactly lead up to some Ka-Boom moment. It more so makes you want to follow along on the journey and gently slide your way into its conclusion. I like those kinds of movies, so I like this one. Thus, since I won't be giving a boatload of spoilers away, what else can I talk about? Well, I can't possibly get by without mentioning the phenomenal supporting cast, so let's start there.
Blythe Danner serves as, what I consider, the most prestigious member of the cast, playing Hannah's mother, who is desperately wanting her daughter to move on with her life after Hunter, though it is obvious that she is also wounded by the loss of someone she considered a son. We have a great character actor, Richard Massur, who many may recall by his face, if not his name, playing Hannah's father. Diana Agron pops up as Andrew's girlfriend, a character who the audience may be unsure of whether or not they are supposed to like. Joe Manganiello plays a local guy who shows up when Hannah needs him for...reasons. Make your own predictions on that one. Finally, Griffin Dunne serves as Hannah's most understanding and supportive friend in town. And everyone seems to be cast rather perfectly for their roles. That's always a good thing.
And now for a trip behind the scenes. The director of this film is Sean Mewshaw, who came up with the story along with his wife, Desi Van Til, who wrote the screenplay. And I certainly hope the info I got about them being married is correct or this would be awkward. Kidding aside, I love what they created together with this film. I am such a great admirer of character driven stories, wherein you can follow them emotionally and root for them to get to where they need to be. This is absolutely one of those, as I found myself getting tugs at my heart in the best way when seeing Hannah in her most quiet and personal moments, something that can also be attributed to the subtle brilliance of Ms. Hall's acting. Of course, I feel an actor is at their best when given a great story. Mission accomplished. And what I mentioned at the start of this post about the world creating? Well, hats off in a big way to the director for showing us a place that feels like home to people who have never even been there. These two superb artists made a world where everyone is so protective of everyone else and the very place itself, so much so that it makes each audience member long to be a part of that kind of community. And it makes us realize why the unseen character of Hunter Miles fell in love with the town as much as he fell in love with Hannah.
One more thing to discuss: the music. As I just said, we don't really get to see Hunter Miles, aside from a brief flash of a photo or two, but where we truly get to know him is through his songs. These songs are provided by an artist I had never come across, but I'm glad I finally have, whose name is Damien Jurado. He was tasked with constructing a person who, in a way, did not exist anymore, but who we had to believe still did. He was, after all, still alive in the hearts of those who loved him, those who knew him and those who didn't. Yes, I know that sounds sappy, but it doesn't make it untrue. Well, Jurado did this flawlessly, to the point where, if someone had described the character of Hunter Miles to you, this is exactly the kind of music you would predict him to make. And while we are the subject of music, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Daniel Hart, who did the beautiful score. This is one of those cases where, when I refer to a movie as a "Music Movie", I put great emphasis on the music part.
So, in closing, in case you haven't figured it out yet, I am highly recommending Tumbledown. Does it have flaws? Of course. Are there moments that may seem predictable for a story such as this? Yeah, I suppose. But when everything else is so good and heartfelt, where you can feel the soul of the people who created this film in every part of it, I can overlook a few faux pas and just tell you to watch it.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer