Greetings,
There's something very special about getting to see your favorite movie on the big screen for the first time. Well, yesterday, I finally got to do that. In honor of the 60th anniversary of its original release, The Ten Commandments has been re-released just in time for Easter, as always. As soon as I heard about this, I knew I had to be in attendance. Now I won't be talking so much about the actual movie as I normally do in my reviews, mostly because I traditionally reviewed this a few years back. And since that particular post was quite long, like loooooong, I probably will keep things fairly short today. I will be speaking mostly of the experience, and it was a wonderful experience.
The Ten Commandments has been my favorite movie from the time I knew I was allowed to pick one. I've been watching it every year since I was a little girl. I remember always being in awe of it, the way it looked, the way it sounded, all of it. In fact, I would say that the way the script was so beautifully written was what truly made me fall in love with words. Those superb actors saying those sentences and paragraphs sounded like a symphony to me, and it still does. And the vivid pictures that the whole film creates has always been a wonder to me, like a huge painting that has come to life. It's practically perfect to me, cinematically speaking. Though all of this, I've had to enjoy it by way of my television at home. I was curious to see how different it would be for me to see it in the theater.
Of course, with some films, the theater experience can be one that enhances even the greatest works of art, and that was certainly the case here. While nothing could ever lessen the feelings I get when I watch this alone on a small screen, it was a thrill to see all the amazing care that was put into this movie on a much bigger canvas. The massiveness that it always holds just because of the heart and soul contained within was now something I could see physically, and it was unbelievable. I wonder if this is how those people felt back in 1956 seeing this masterpiece for the first time ever. I've always envied them for that.
But now I've had the pleasure of getting something close to that experience. I don't think anything could ever make me love this movie more than I already do, but getting to see it in a different way just adds to the whole lifelong relationship I've had with it and will continue to have with it. Again, if you want me to say something more detailed check out my previous review, which was more like a retrospective, if I'm being honest. I suppose the bottom line to all I have to say today is that, if you haven't already seen The Ten Commandments, see it. It gets shown every Easter on TV, like I said, or you can rent it anytime, or if you have the chance, catch it on the big screen for the Fathom Event. No matter how you feel concerning the religious aspects of it, this is a brilliant piece of film making. It's just plain legendary. On a more personal note, this is a powerful story and it has been told in a powerful way. It has always meant so much to me, as many of the stories from the Bible do, so I hold this work in a special part of my heart where it will live as long as I do.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer