Thursday, March 17, 2016

Thoughts on Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders

Greetings,

So, have I mentioned that Gary Sinise is my favorite actor? I may have once or twice. Well, it's a joy for anyone when they hear that their favorite actor is working on a new project, though the anxiety of waiting to see if it's good or not can be a bit of a headache. No worries for me, currently, because last night, I got to watch the latest endeavor from Mr. Sinise, a spin-off of the very successful Criminal Minds series called Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders. Here are some very quick and not too detailed thoughts about the premiere.

As evident by the title, this show takes us to other countries where a special team of FBI agents help out and/or rescue American citizens. The cast consists of the aforementioned Gary Sinise, Alana de la Garza, who I know best from Law & Order, Daniel Henney, who was in the sadly short-lived series Three Rivers that I really liked, Tyler James Williams, who we no longer hate...because he used to play Chris on Everybody Hates Chris, and Annie Funke, who I don't recall having seen in anything, but I thought she was a delight in this first episode. In fact, I'm happy to report that I enjoyed every cast member and character, a rarity for me. Okay, that was obviously the discussion on the "Who"s, now how about the "What", as in "What did I think of this introduction?"

Now, I never actually watched the original Criminal Minds, so I can't really speak on the show in comparison. But if that one is as good as this one, I may have to start catching up. I was quite intrigued by the episode last night. It had a decent story, it kept me interested to the very end and of course, it was acted very well, which is always important. Was it perfect? No, but I didn't expect it to be. Pilots tend to be flawed. Even the first few episodes of a new series can stumble until it finds its footing. The good news is that the potential is certainly there. It has enough great things that should sustain it with the audience until it becomes a well oiled machine, and with good old Gary at the helm as both lead actor and producer, I have no doubts that it will happen quickly.

So, will I be tuning in next week and Beyond for this new show? I think I will. And believe it or not, it's not just because I am ecstatic to see Gary Sinise again on a regular basis. Sure, he pulled me in, but if the show was not good, I would not stay. Therefore, I think I'll be sticking around with the team on this one for a while.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer