Greetings,
I believe I have, indeed, saved the best for the last this week. Yes, I am saying that. I know many people are not fans of this film. In fact, some people say that it's downright terrible. Well, here's a question for them: Are you always wrong or just never right? Okay, fine it's not the best movie ever, but is it as bad as everyone says? I say no, but I guess we'll discuss that today as we discuss the 1983 film, Staying Alive. So, let's get to a little backstory.
As we all know, in 1977, a little movie called Saturday Night Fever came out and became a phenomenon. It turned John Travolta, who was cast as Tony Manero, into a huge star, the Bee Gees into the biggest musical act in the world and disco into a giant, terrifying monster set out to destroy real music for everyone. At least, that's what some people said. Funny thing that the Bee Gees were blamed for this, since they never considered their music disco, but rather R&B. No lie, and I'm always on their side, so there you go. Sorry, I digress. So, Saturday Night Fever, super successful, super acclaimed and kind of controversial, actually. I can certainly see why. But that was the seventies. What happened when the eighties rolled in? That's when someone decided we needed a sequel. Because...good timing? Whatever. Let's get started.
Staying Alive takes place six years after Saturday Night Fever, and it follows Tony once again, now in his mid-twenties, living in Manhattan and trying to make it as a professional dancer. On Broadway, not the other kind. In fact, he appears to be less...Tony Manero-ish than he was in the past, and I'm just talking about less F-bombs. Although, he has seemed to adapt a bit from his Brooklyn way of life. Of course, if you thought that what happened at the end of the previous film had a huge effect on him, it kind of didn't. See, he has this girlfriend, Jackie, played by Cynthia Rhodes, who is also an aspiring dancer/singer/performer in general and who loves him lots. Why? I don't know, because he totally starts putting the moves on this other, more successful dancer named Laura, played by Finola Hughes. I mean, I get it. It's Finola Hughes and she's awesome. Not saying that Cynthia Rhodes isn't, but I naturally side with the brunettes, because I am one. But why am I choosing sides between the women? This is all Tony's fault. The funny thing is that, when he sees Jackie singing with some other guy, he gets totally (you'll never guess this one) jealous! Seriously! He is being a total "Rio"! You'll get that if you're a fan of the Jem and the Holograms cartoon. Then, again, the other guy with whom Jackie was singing is...Frank Stallone! Yeah, you have reason to be jealous, sir. I love Frank Stallone. Just throwing that out there. Oh, that reminds me. Did I forget to mention that Sylvester Stallone directed this movie? Yep. Good times. I probably should have said that before, but I wanted Frank to come first this time. Not that I don't love both of the brothers equally. Moving on.
So, anyway, besides all that relationship stuff, a lot of the plot centers around Tony wanting to recapture the "acclaim" of his younger days in the disco. Turns out, though he was praised for his dancing on that sweet, lit up floor, that didn't transfer over to the musical theater world as easily as he would have hoped. He tries anything, and I mean anything, to get himself a starring role in a production called - wait for it - Satan's Alley! Because...I don't know. Eighties' Spandex looks best in red? And does Tony get the part, therefore, ensuring us to have a phenomenal finale dance number that will leave the audience stunned and amazed? Maybe. However, what will most leave the audience stunned and amazed will be the little Saturday Night Fever call back at the end of the film. I haven't decided if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I'll leave it to you all to choose for yourselves.
Oh, and speaking of the '77 movie, I should warn you that there isn't much from that in this. As I mentioned, far fewer F-bombs, so if that was why you liked it, you may be disappointed. And aside from a couple of scenes with Julie Bovasso who played Tony's mom, John Travolta is really the only person to carry over from Saturday Night Fever. Forgive me. He is the only actor to do so. Whist we had few familiar faces, we may have had a few familiar voices.
That brings us to the subject of the music. I am, after all, referring to this as a "Music Movie". As well I should, since music is such a big part of it, like it was with its predecessor. As I said, familiar voices we will hear, specifically and no surprise, the Bee Gees have returned, offering up five new songs, as well as giving us all more "Stayin' Alive". And the songs are really good. Interesting thing, around this time, the Bee Gees weren't exactly the big stars they once were, but the Brothers Gibb were writing a lot for other artists. That translates into their own songs not doing so well on the charts anymore. However, this album did go to Number 6 in the U.S. Rightfully so. As I said, I like the songs. There's a reason I own the soundtrack. Besides the Bee Gees, we get some more songs from the aforementioned Cynthia Rhodes and Frank Stallone, and some guy named Tommy Faragher. I know nothing about him, but his contributions were pretty good, too. I rest my case on that one.
Okay, is this movie the failure that it is remembered as? Well, no. And that's not just my opinion, necessarily. It did make back three times its budget, so it wasn't a failure financially. And that music I was talking about, at least the score, was nominated for a Grammy. Of course, it did also get some Razzies. Not that I trust those either. But the bottom line is this - I can't hate this movie. It may not be traditionally good, but it is so darn entertaining. And by the way, if you do or have ever had a crush on John Travolta, this is the one you want to see. See, oggle, whatever. Just enjoy.
So, I guess I understand why people prefer Saturday Night Fever to Staying Alive. As a whole, the music was better, it did have a better story line and it was certainly a product of its time. But you know what it didn't have? Satan's Alley! Or Frank Stallone. Yeah, this sequel is totally better!
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer