Greetings,
Some writers may believe that the worst thing about what we do is if we aren't noticed or appreciated for our work. But, I wonder, how much more heartbreaking it is to not be noticed or appreciated after having been a great success? What must it be like to be forgotten by the ones who once gave you such acclaim? Not easy, I would imagine. Well, that's what is the focus of the brilliant film Starting Out in the Evening.
Starting Out in the Evening is a 2007 film that I'm guessing most people have never even heard of much less seen, and that is depressing. This is amazing. There are a only a few characters in the movie, but the small cast is led by the masterful Frank Langella in probably his best performance ever. He plays Leonard Schiller, a formerly famous writer in the twilight of his life who has been largely forgotten as he has tried to finish his final book. One day, he meets Heather Wolfe, played by Lauren Ambrose, a grad student who hopes to use him as the subject of her Master's Thesis, since he was the one who inspired her to be a writer. She also hopes that, through this, people may rediscover him. Reluctant at first, Leonard finally agrees, as he also hopes this may help to get him some exposure. They begin to have weekly meetings, where he opens up to her about his past and she starts to show more interest in him personally. This leads to them developing into a meaningful friendship and, perhaps, beyond.
Whilst that plot line is going on, we also follow Ariel, Leonard's daughter, played by Lili Taylor. She is a former dancer and current yoga and pilates instructor, who is at a point in her life where she hopes to settle down and start a family, though she just ended her relationship. Around that time, her ex, Casey, played by Adrian Lester, comes to town. She begins to see him again romantically, but she's conflicted because he still has no desire to have children, which is what broke them up before. Ariel is forced to decide what it is she really wants in her life and what, if anything, she is willing to give up.
This film, I find to be more character driven than plot driven, which is fine by me. I actually love that. I mean, there is a plot, but we are more engrossed in what the people are going through on an individual basis. We are gladly pushed into caring about them, because the characters are so well constructed. They're flawed, but also sympathetic and relatable. They are going through specific things, but at the core, they are things through which so many people go. Everyone deals with getting older and going through huge transitions and making important decisions, and all of this can effect us greatly. And this story so wonderfully depicts how these people are dealing with it. You really do find yourself rooting for them to make it, one way or another.
Starting Out in the Evening is very subtle and nuanced and understated. Yeah, Hollywood, making movies like that is actually allowed. I feel as though you've forgotten that. This film is so beautifully bleak, in a way, and that makes it feel very real. While you do hope that everything works out for everyone, you sense that it might not. But that's life, and that's what we're getting here. Also, let me just say again that the tone we get in this film is thanks greatly to the amazing performances by all the actors. Not a weak link in the bunch. That is not easy to do.
So, I know I haven't said much about this movie, but there's really not much to say. This is something that must be experienced. I can say again and again how brilliant it is, but it's a film that needs to be seen, then talked about, rather than the other way around. So, if you can handle a movie with actual characters and no explosions, I am highly recommending this.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer