Thursday, September 18, 2014

History of the Eagles - Documentary Review

Greetings,

In case it wasn't obvious from my Top Ten Eagles Songs list, I LOVE the Eagles. They are one of my all-time favorite bands, and this is because of the amazing music, of course. The majority of it was released before was born, yet it all feels so fresh each time I hear it. Because truly good music doesn't stop being good. Yeah, I wonder how many babies being born now are going to be able to say this about any of today's artists in a couple of decades. The answer is none...probably. Anyway, I recently discovered this documentary, and I had to see it. So, let's discuss the appropriately titled, History of the Eagles.

This is a 2013 documentary directed by Alison Ellwood, who has had quite an extensive career as an editor and producer, working alongside co-producer Alex Gibney. He has been responsible for some really good documentaries of late, such as Catching Hell and The Armstrong Lie (watch both of them!). Anyway, this one was shown at the Sundance Film Festival and then aired on Showtime. And in 2013 and beyond, The Eagles were and are on a tour of the same name. Of course, I didn't get to go when they came to my city, because, I don't know, the world hates me or something. Seriously, they are on the list of bands I need to see before I die. Or before they die. Wow, that didn't sound good. Love you, guys. Moving on.

Basically, this documentary can certainly be judged by its title. We are, quite literally, getting the history of The Eagles. Now, this set up has been done before with other subjects, and it really can go either. Some are boring; some are not. This is not. Funny enough, the things they talk about here are mostly things that we already know, and yet the execution is so well done that it still is quite interesting. As you may recall, one of the aspects that I highly praised about The Beatles Anthology was that we got new interviews with the actual Beatles, plus a few people who worked most closely with them. Thankfully, that's what we get here, as well. We hear all these stories and all their sides from all the guys who were a part of the band. Does it get harsh sometimes? Oh, yeah. But that's life and that's the reality of what happened. At least, I hope so, because I'd hate to think someone was lying. Oh, and I'd like to think this goes without saying, but unlike other unauthorized documentaries, of which I am not a fan, we get their music. Tons of their music. Yay.

To be honest, I have heard from certain people, perhaps former band members that were in this film, that maybe it wasn't all that accurate. I mean, maybe, maybe not. I wasn't there, so I can't speak on that. Although, whilst there is still some animosity between the past and the present, I don't think anyone came out of this thing smelling like a rose, on a personal level. Not even Joe Walsh, and he's my favorite. But this band has a history of, let's say, acrimony within themselves. Everyone knows that. Well, maybe not everyone, because one non-professional reviewer said that he or she did not want to know that they didn't get along as a band. My response to that is - WHAT! How does anyone not know about the infighting? Was that not the point of the whole Hell Freezes Over thing? Goodnight, even people who have never heard of the Eagles know about that! Whatever, I'm getting off track.

There's actually not all that much to say about this film, other than what I already have. Point is, if you are am admirer of The Eagles or even if you already know all about them, this is a must watch. You get to hear stories from the guys, you get to hear music and you get to see a really well put together documentary. So, I'll just say it again, I love the Eagles, I love their music, and they should be my friends. Okay, that was a little weird, but you understand.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer