Greetings,
During the many years for which I have been writing, I have come to realize a simple yet unfortunate truth - some people just don't get us. By "us", I mean writers, of course, and when I say "people", I mean non-writers. Sure, we get each other just fine, and we appreciate and acknowledge the art that is created by our peers, alongside our own. And, to be fair, there are actually a few outsiders who value what we do. But I constantly get a feeling that a big part of the world does not think that being a writer holds much worth. I suppose that, when a lot of these people think of the word "writer", they also automatically think "books". BOOKS! NO! Books are for school (maybe, these days!) and nowhere else! Well, newsflash. Writing is not only done in the books, kids.
Yes, I know that people most likely are not reading books as much as they once did, and, if they do happen to read a book, it might not be one that is making them more intelligent or articulate or insightful. Oh, the titles I could mention but will not, because I'm trying to be nice...today. I understand that, currently, we have so much less time and so many more distractions, but therein lies some irony. Some of what distracts people most from the joy of books are things like television and movies and video games. Hello! Every single thing I mentioned there usually begins because of one person - a writer. Yeah, I said it! We tend to be the person with the idea, and the idea is the foundation for all of this. I understand that said foundation must be built upon with the help and talent of others in order to create a great work of art. But, again, a lot of the time, it all starts with us. Yet, somehow, I'm not sure that all of us get the recognition we deserve. I thought that the writer's strike of 2007-08, where writers not writing literally ground an entire industry to a halt, may have made people see how important we are. Perhaps, it helped a bit, but never enough. My point is that WE MATTER! And, thus, after much rambling, this brings us to today's topic, The Writer's Room. Sorry I took so long, but I had to say those things.
The Writer's Room is a show that premiered in 2013 on the Sundance Channel. It is hosted by Jim Rash. Many of you may know him as the super-fun Dean Pelton from Community, but he is also an Academy Award winning writer. Must have been one of those rare times when they got it right. Anyway, this is a thirty minute talk show of sorts wherein the writers from different hit series come in to discuss their work and their process and all the things about which we love to talk. It has featured writers from shows like Scandal, New Girl, Games of Thrones and others. That is the basic and simple premise, and it is downright amazing.
Okay, I may be biased, because I have always been someone who loves to listen to other writers. I relish in hearing their stories and what process they have. It inspires me, encourages me and, hopefully, makes me a better writer myself. But even if you aren't a writer or even someone who ever particularly took notice of the writing, you may still find this show very interesting. Actually, of the series that have been featured, I have personally not watched even half of them. Yet, I still watch the episodes, because writers are writers, good is good, and I can always learn from them. Oh, heck, let's be honest. I can learn a lot from bad writers as well. Mostly, though, in the opposite direction.
In closing, let me just say that I am extremely grateful for The Writer's Room. I am so glad that someone decided to put those who are rarely in the spotlight right at the forefront, so that all the hard and irreplaceable work they do can be seen and appreciated. Growing up, I always thought I was an outcast because I spent so much time with the worlds I created in my own head, and I don't doubt that there are a bunch of youngsters going through the same thing right now. Hopefully, they will watch this show and know that the worlds they create in their own heads might be able to escape into the real one and change it for the better someday. And as a writer, an artist, even on my most difficult days that are filled with staring at empty pages and usually an even more empty wallet, I remember that it's all worth it. If we allow it to be so, we can truly have a rich life.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer