Greetings,
So what happened in 2006? Well, there was an Olympics in Italy, Twitter started, SOMEBODY decided that Pluto wasn't a planet anymore, Wallace and Gromit won an Oscar, Paul McCartney, who wrote "When I'm Sixty-Four" turned 64, whilst his one-time collaborator and piano genius, Billy Preston, passed away, and Salzburg erupted in numerous celebrations in honor of it being 250 years since the birth of Mozart. Also, a ton of other more important things, but I need to move on. So why exactly did I choose this year to discuss my opinions of the best and worst in pop music? Someone requested it. That's why. See, I said I take requests for things seriously.
So let's get to it, shall we? Chosen, as always, from Billboard's Year End chart, these are the Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 2006...in my opinion.
#10. "Love" Keyshia Cole - You know, there is something so enjoyable about a beautifully sung, nice, simple love song, and that is what this is. You can just sit there and listen to it and let it be music in its purest form. Nothing crazy or over the top. Just a good song. I swear, those can exist.
#9. "Because of You" Kelly Clarkson - So this song came from Kelly's second album, Breakaway,a.k.a. the album she made to prove that she was not just some chick who got lucky on a singing contest. And she did prove that for awhile. She managed to achieve some really great songwriting with the help of others, and ended up with a darn good collection of tunes. I know her career is going to this day, but I'd say this is still Kelly at her best.
#8. "Show Stopper" Danity Kane - Sigh. I hate being completely honest on this blog sometimes. This is one of those times. The whole Danity Kane thing was so bizarre and yet somehow entertaining, thanks to the reality show that put them together. But that more had to do with the behind the scenes drama. I would never call myself an actual fan of this group, though I can admit they were quite talented vocally. And yet, I cannot help but really, really like this song. It wasn't as big as their hit "Damaged", I don't think, but I kind of like this one better. Also, I sure am glad that this song mentions cars, otherwise, I'd think that guy saying "Jingle them keys" was a euphemism.
#7. "Too Little, Too Late" JoJo - I do not know what happened to JoJo after her initial success. I recall hearing something about "label trouble" which is never good. But I certainly wish she was still around making music and getting hits. Why? Because, Holy Crap, that little girl could sing. And she was very young at the time, with a voice far more mature than her years and far better than any of her contemporaries, no matter what their age. I suppose I could refer to her as the Ariana Grande of her day. And this is one of the hits she had. It's pretty much a straight forward pop song, but her vocals take it to another level. I just hope she manages to make a comeback. We could use her.
#6. "You're Beautiful" James Blunt - Yeah, I'm a sucker for this one. I'm a sucker for any heartfelt, tragic love song. That's right, people. It's a TRAGIC love song, because it's about a broken relationship. For the love of all things pure and good, stop using it at weddings! I suppose you can use it at your "conscious uncoupling" ceremonies, though. Ya know, if those become an actual...thing.
#5. "Crazy" Gnarls Barkley - I really don't like it when things get all samey sounding on the charts. A breath of fresh melodic air is always welcome in my book. When this song hit, it was hailed as being very unique and very good. It was. I'd venture to say that there wasn't a single other song that was anything like it at that time or since. And, unlike a lot of songs, it still holds up today. And it's Cee Lo, so there you go.
#4. "Hips Don't Lie" Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean - I always say that, no matter how good you are at something, you'll always be more impressed by what you can't do that others can. For example, I would not call myself a good dancer, so I am quite impressed by people who can dance, in any way or style. Enter Shakira. I don't mean this in a weird way, but I do get kind of mesmerized watching her move the way she does. So why not have an entire song dedicated to showcasing that talent? Also, I hear Tom Hiddleston likes this song. I'm actually surprised it isn't his theme song. If you've seen him dance, you'll know what I'm talking about. Moving on.
#3. "Feel Good Inc." Gorillaz featuring De La Soul - Again, samey sounding music, not always that great. Unique and good, thumbs up. And this song was...yeah. It was weird. It is weird. But, therein, lies why I love it so much. You just listen to it and you think, "What the heck is this? What am I listening? I have no idea, but I love it". A similar reaction may be had whilst watching the video. I know there were actual human people behind this music, but it was also like a cartoon band, right? Just like Jem and the Holograms! I'm in!
#2. "Call Me When You're Sober" Evanescence - I love it when a musician is so gifted that they can mix it up and it seems effortless. Take Amy Lee, the front woman for Evanescence. She is a legit classically trained pianist (who can also play the harp, apparently. Who plays the harp?) but she can totally rock out. Her versatility has always been evident within the music of her band, and it's no different here. Though they have continued to make music, despite some turmoil, this was pretty much their last big hit. Until they get another one. Hopefully, they will.
#1. "Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" K.T. Tunstall - So here we have a song with a catchy melody, great lyrics, fantastic vocals, all done by another artist who seems to have disappeared. WHY! Why do all these amazing and unique artists not get the success they deserve? I just don't get it. To this day, I absolutely love this song. This should have been the start of a career full of massive popularity and acclaim, but, no, this talented woman had to get shoved aside to make way for all the crap to follow. Sorry. This makes me sad. I'm going to go and listen to this song, and it will make me feel better.
And there are my favorite hit songs of the year of 2006. I'd like to think I was eclectic enough with my choices. I even hope for that more so with my next list. Speaking if which, tune in tomorrow for my least favorites of the year.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer