Monday, October 14, 2013

The One Seasoner's Club - Now and Again

Greetings,

Let me apologize for this post before I really begin. See, the show I am going to discuss today was cancelled in the year 2000. Thirteen years ago. And I have not seen it for thirteen years. Thus, I can only tell you things based on my weak memories as well as synopses one can find on the internet. I guess you may be wondering why I'm even bothering to do this, but I feel like good things that aren't recognized should be. This is how I do my part. Ladies and gentlemen, Now and Again.

Now and Again was a show that first aired in 1999 on CBS, and I would say it fell into the sci-fi category. Still, it also tried to mix in a heavy dose of humanity with that aspect. Actually, though there is a heavy sci-fi plot at the core with this one, the emotional side of it is more of a driving force due to how the story begins, continues and eventually ends. So what is the story here?

The show is centered around a man named Michael Wiseman, who is your average, everyday guy who works in an office and has a wife and teenage daughter. And he is played by John Goodman. I know you're all thinking "Yay!" on that one, but don't get too attached. The wonderful Mr. Goodman is with us only for the pilot as well as an occasional flashback later in the series. Why? In the first episode, he gets hit by a subway train. Snap. But he's not gone entirely. We've still got his brain. Weird enough for you yet? Well, hold on, we're going to go even further.

Turns out that there is this secret government project (of course there is) wherein they are trying to create the "perfect" human body, which they did, except they needed a brain, as you do. Oh, hey, look we found one. Yes, they put John Goodman's brain into the body of the man who would take over the role for the duration of the series, Eric Close. So, the good news is that he is technically still alive. The bad news is that, since this is a secret project, Michael can never see his wife or daughter again. And, of course, he follows that rule to the letter. Right. No, that, in fact, is where the emotional and human drive of the show lies. Michael knows he must follow the rules to keep himself and those he loves out of danger, but he can't bear to be away from his family. That is the thing that holds the show together throughout, whilst the episodes individually deal with the government using him to deal with issues of terrorism and criminals and other stuff. That is, after all, what he was created to do. But who he really is always lingers. And that is the basic plot of the show. Now let's talk about the characters and actors.

As I already mentioned, our official leading man is Eric Close. I thought he did a really good job of portraying this superhuman...human, but, at the same time, he was always conveying something more grounded in, well, for lack of a word I've overused, humanity. He was almost like a machine with a heart, and those are the best kind, aren't they? Then, we have the family consisting of Michael's wife, Lisa, played by the wonderful Margaret Colin, and his daughter, Heather, played by Heather Matarazzo, who I always thought was kind of an underrated actress in her youth. The story line with their characters is pretty much about this family trying to adjust and move on after losing its husband and father, and I seem to recall a lot of heartbreaking moments where that is concerned. Then, there is Gerrit Graham, who plays Roger Bender, Michael's business partner and good friend, who inadvertently gets mixed up in the whole mess when Michael starts spying on his family. Finally, we have Dennis Haysbert as Dr. Theodore Morris, who is the head of this whole perfect human project. Initially, he and Michael expectantly have issues with each other, but they eventually become close, almost friends. There were also a few good guest stars on the shows, such as Chad Lowe, Kim Chan and Christine Baranski. But even with all of this greatness, the show didn't manage to get a second season, even finishing with the dreaded cliffhanger ending. Why?

Needless to say, the answer to the question of the hour, did the show deserve a second season, is yes. And I am very sure that I am not the only person who would feel that way. Now I seem to remember the show getting a lot of good reviews from both critics and the public. I personally gravitated toward it because it reminded me a lot of my beloved The Pretender. And it was a really good show. The acting was solid and the plots kept you coming back, so I was almost certain it would continue to a second season. But no such luck. The only official reason for the cancellation is that the show was an "unjustifiable expense". Need I remind you that this is the same network that had previously given two seasons to a cartoon based on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Priorities, people. Priorities.

So the good news is that, for those of us who got the chance to watch it, Now and Again was a really good and original show. Unfortunately, if you missed it on the first go round, you're out of luck. As far as I know, it hasn't been released on DVD, and it's nowhere in reruns. Strange, since I assumed this show may have had a bit of a cult following. Maybe not to the extent of shows like My So-Called Life or Freaks and Geeks, but still, I can't help to believe that there are some fans out there who might enjoy watching it again. I was a fan, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it again. Oh, well. Here's hoping that one of the former stars will use their clout to get this thing to us, be it through DVDs or an occasional run on SyFy. Like I said, I wrote this not so much to recommend this show, since that almost seems pointless under current circumstances, but more to give it the credit that it's due for what a great show it was. So, despite the outcome, I say congrats on a job well done for all those involved.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer