Greetings,
By now, I'm sure you all know that we sadly lost one of our greatest treasures in entertainment, Annette Funicello. This news truly breaks my heart, because I really loved this woman. Still do. In fact, she was one of those rare people who everyone loved. And I don't even mean that as a cliche. I honestly don't think there was anyone who wasn't crazy about her. It's no wonder she was dubbed one of America's Sweethearts. She didn't even have to live up to that persona, because it was not a persona. It was who she was. A wonderful young girl who grew into a wonderful and unbelievably strong woman. It's a huge part of why her death is so sad, though we had all been preparing for this day for a while.
In 1992, Annette told the world that she was unfortunately suffering from multiple sclerosis and had been for about five years. Her decision to do so came after rumors were spreading that she was suffering from alcoholism, spawned by her walking being impaired. An outpouring of love and support was bestowed upon Annette from everyone. She certainly deserved it, and it was obvious that she was incredibly overwhelmed and grateful.
Each time I would see her in a subsequent interview, you could see that, though her health was slowly getting worse and she knew it continue that way, she still always had so much hope. She was so inspiring. I was touched by the way that her spirits seemed to be so elevated despite her suffering, and it devastated me to see a woman who was always so full of light and life be stripped of so much of it. There are certain things that we say we wouldn't wish on anyone. Well, I certainly would not wish any kind of disease on Annette Funicello, but especially not this disease.
I remember in an interview she did years ago, she struggled as she said that she just wanted to dance again. I cried each time I saw that. Now I have no idea where her heart was when she passed on. Only she and God truly know. I just hope that it was in a place where she now can finally have that dream come true. I hope that, right now, she is dancing again. Dancing and smiling. And let us remember her in that beautiful way.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer