Monday, April 22, 2013

Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked - Documentary Review

Greetings,

In the past, I have reviewed a few documentaries, and, even more recently, I have reviewed some movies about comic book characters. Well, I say it's about time to put those together and look at a documentary about comic book characters.

Now I took a bit of a different approach this time. Whilst the other documentaries I had chosen, as far as I know, were ones that all had theatrical releases, I decided to stick closer to home with my pick for today. Specifically, I am doing a doc that is brought to us by the History Channel. I must say, I am big fan of a lot of the stuff that this channel puts out. Even when they do specials I think may bore me, usually due to subject matter, I end up being entertained in some way. No exception with this one.

In 2003, the History Channel aired a special entitled Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked. I have never been one who reads comic books, but I always admired the creators. This documentary is really what made me turn that admiration into full on respect for them as artists. And not only when it comes to the visual art, but also the writing. As a writer myself, I am extremely impressed at all the details and intricacies that went into the back stories and origins. And to be able to keep people interested for decades is overwhelming to me.

In this documentary, we are guided through the stories behind the stories from when comics were merely a part of a newspaper to when they became their own books and beyond. We begin, of course, with Superman, the hero that became an archetype for all those who followed. Then, on to Batman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, and all the others, great and small, very remembered and almost forgotten. It shows how, when something became popular, it spiraled out and multiplied. First, with the heroes, then with their sidekicks, then with teaming them up. One character would be created, one great idea would be had, and more would come in the wake. Interestingly enough, these first origin stories of the creators from different publishing companies remind me of what happened with groups like The Beatles and The Beach Boys in the sixties. Were those groups competitors? Sure, for sales and chart position. But they also inspired each other to be better at their craft. Clearly, this is the same thing that happened with the writers and artists who worked for DC and Marvel and all the publishers. They could see what was popular and make their own version of it.

Of course, this doc discusses how the comics were affected by real life, particularly and most infamously, World War II. And I never knew that the enemies our country would eventually fight in reality were being fought first by the superheroes in their world. But that was only the start of reality and fantasy getting into each others business. As the decades passed, whatever was happening to our country and our world trickled down into the comics. From the wars to drug use to the economy, it all made its way into the panels. That, of course, was another thing that makes these creators true artists, because that is what artists do. They look at life and make it a story worth being read. Or seen.

There is also much attention paid to the political and commercial aspects of the industry. For example, the attacks made on them in the fifties, resulting in them needing a seal of approval to be published. It is recognized as an early form of censorship disguised as concern for the youth of the country. There are, as well, accounts of how the first books became collectors items and how companies tried to recreate the idea of them being that valuable. We are taken through the financial and creative ups and downs of every character, all the things done to revamp them, and in some cases, rescue them, and, in general, all the changes they were forced to endure as the world changed as well.

I think, though, that the best thing about this documentary is the interviews. They got some really great, legendary people for this, from Denny O'Neil to Will Eisner to Jim Steranko to Stan Lee. These guys are just so much fun. As always, no one could tell these stories better than those who lived and created them. And you can tell that they all have such a great respect for each other which is wonderful to see.

So, to conclude, I definitely recommend this, even if you aren't technically a comic fan. It's still that interesting. You can find it occasionally airing on television, but it has also been released on DVD and can be rented. I have watched this several times, and it never fails to draw me in. Good job, History Channel! Keep 'em comin'!


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer