Greetings,
In the many decades since the comic book craze began, nearly every major character has had a shot at the big screen, and even some not so major characters. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. But there is one that has amazingly never been given a feature length film - Wonder Woman. It kind of stuns me to this day that she has never had a movie based on her, though I can understand the hesitation. We did get the fabulous 70's series starring Lynda Carter, who is the definitive Wonder Woman, not to mention about the most achingly beautiful lady I have ever seen. Then again, we also (almost) got a remake in 2011, which portrayed the beloved hero as some vicious, arrogant, insane, killing machine. I think that may have been a little different from how she was originally created. So hopes for a live action, big screen Wonder Woman film seem grim at best. Still, we do have a something that will, in my opinion, more than suffice until someone gets their act together there. That would be the 2009 animated movie entitled, what else, Wonder Woman.
I had heard about this one before it came out, and all I did hear was that they were making a Wonder Woman movie and it was going to star Keri Russell. My response to that was. "Wait, what?" Don't get me wrong. I do like Keri Russell, and I think she is a very underrated actress. However, based strictly on appearance, I never could have imagined her playing this role. Not even if they dyed her hair black. Then, I heard it was animated, which meant she was only going to be playing the voice. That's fine, since I thought, if anything, she could handle the acting quite well. Plus, she does really have a great voice. So enough back story. Let's get to the actual story.
This movie is what is commonly known as an origin story. You may be curious as to which one since Wonder Woman has had more than a few origins over time, based on who was the writer. In this case, it is apparently the origin written by George Perez in his 1987 reboot, particularly an arc called "Gods and Mortals"
The film begins before the "birth" of Wonder Woman, or Diana, as I will probably refer to her from now on, and takes us back centuries where the Amazon women were battling Ares and his army. The Amazons are being led by Hippolyta, who is voiced here by Virginia Madsen, and she does a phenomenal job, giving, with her voice, such the nobility we would expect of this character. Also, we have Alfred Molina as Ares, and it's Alfred Molina, so, of course, he's fantastic as well. There is such a violent edge to his performance, perfect for playing the god of war. Though Hippolyta and the Amazons are something of a success in this battle, she cannot kill him. So, Hera, portrayed through a Marg Helgenberger voice cameo, binds Ares' ability to draw power from death and violence. And this is how the Amazons gain their paradise known as Themyscira, where they will live forever and be isolated from men so they can concentrate on keeping Ares prisoner. Well, some of that sounds kind of okay. And this was their prize for defeating him? Whatever. Still, it seems as though Hippolyta is the one who got the real prize. She was able to have a child, created from the sand and her own blood. As so Princess Diana enters the world.
Cut to about a thousand years later, and who should crash land on the island but Steve Trevor, the dude of the story. Hey, wait, he's a DUDE! He can't be here. So, naturally, he is captured by the Amazons, including Artemis, who is played by Rosario Dawson. A tough, gorgeous woman portraying a tough, gorgeous woman. Perfect. And speaking of perfect, so is Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor. He acts exactly as you would expect a guy stuck on an island full of women to act - like he's twelve. So they must take him back to the place from whence he came, and despite her mother's objections, Diana wins the honor. And this leads her to entering our world. In the meantime, through some major oopsies by some of the Amazon ladies, Ares escapes and also makes his way into our world.
While in New York, we see the beginnings of the up and down relationship between Diana and Steve as they investigate a lot of violent occurrences they think are being caused by Ares. There are actually some very amusing moments between them, as Steve full on realizes that Diana is less of the average woman than he ever imagined. There are also a few moments where Diana is troubled by the way that women, and especially young girls, are being treated. Like everyone assuming they can't fight. Well, that is proven wrong when this whole story culminates in a battle, of course, wherein some of the problems with the Amazon society come to light, but where they also show how powerful they are. And, in the aftermath, Diana is led to her true calling of being a warrior for humanity.
Now I have heard a few of the origin stories of Wonder Woman, but this one, I think, is one of the best. It really does cover everything we need to know, from who she is to where she comes from to where she is going. The story in this film is very well done, in my opinion. It tells just enough to keep us interested without giving us so much filler that we get bored. Also, I thought the animation was very well done, showing how things have progressed in the art but also having a familiar look and feel. And, as I mentioned many times, the voice acting is stellar, and everyone, from small parts to starring roles, is perfectly cast.
So while we may have to wait a while before we get a live action Wonder Woman film, if we ever get one, I think we can pleased to have this production. Very pleased. And, at the very least, it's nothing like the remake series.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer