Thursday, March 14, 2013

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Movie Review

Greetings,

A while back, I did a whole Batman vs. Superman post, wherein I discussed why people like one or the other, the differences between them in the media, and my personal opinions on these things, specifically the relationship between the two. I mentioned that I do kind of agree with those who think that Batman and Superman seem so opposite in their views that they may, at times, make better enemies than they do friends. But I certainly don't mind when they team up to fight a common enemy. I do like the Justice League cartoon, after all. Well, today I will reviewing another film that puts these two heroes on the same side, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. And, before I officially begin, let me say how pleased I am that the titular characters are being voiced by Tim Daly and Kevin Conroy. As well they should be. Let's get started.

As the film opens, our country is in an economic mess, until we elect a new president who fixes everything. And who is this president, you may ask? Why, it's Lex Luthor, of course! Sounds like a good idea to me. You know what else sounds good? Clancy Brown doing the voice. Yeah, this guy is, without question, the best voice over artist for Lex Luthor. Others have tried and failed to be as great as he is in this role. Anyway, as our new Commander-In-Chief, Luthor wants to gather up all the superheroes to be government employed, both to help in the country's defense but also to keep them in line. Well, that certainly doesn't sound suspicious. But some of the heroes go along with this plan, including Power Girl, voiced here by Allison Mack, taking a little break from her duties on Smallville. Turns out, though, that not every superhero thinks this is a good idea. Particularly, Superman and Batman, because, despite all the "good" he has done for the country, they still do not trust Luthor at all.

As it happens, there is a huge meteor of Kryptonite headed for the Earth, so Luthor requests a meeting with Superman to discuss the problem. And they meet in Gotham City, because . . . well, how else are they going to get Batman involved? And of course, he shows up when needed. During this meeting, which is not any kind of trap at all, someone is killed, which leads Lex Luthor to accuse Superman of murder, thus turning him into a fugitive. He says that the Kryptonite meteor has probably turned Superman insane. Here's the best part. Luthor puts a one BILLION dollar bounty on his head. This brings out a boatload of villains who want to get paid. We see Bane, Silver Banshee, Deadshot, Cheetah, Mr. Freeze and that's just naming a few, and they all put a big attack on Superman and Batman. And it is very entertaining to watch.

But, per usual, things are not always as they seem. Turns out, Lex is much more fond of Kryptonite than anyone ever thought, and the arrival of this huge and deadly meteor is actually playing a big part in a plan that he has for the world at large, or whatever might be left of it. Yeah, I could go into a detailed account of this plan of his, but, frankly, it's not so different from other plans we've had from other villains. I suppose that would be my only real complaint about this film. Well, that and this slightly disturbing scene between Lex and Amanda Waller. As the scene plays out, the question will most likely float into your head of, "He's not saying what I think he's saying, is he?" Then, you just decide to move on before things get even more uncomfortable. But back to the big plan of Lex's. Though the whole thing feels like it's been done before, the way they get to it seems fairly original. To me, anyway.

Oh, and some of you may be wondering if Superman and Batman succeed in defeating Lex Luthor. Seriously, though, you're probably not. I mean, really, what do you think is going to happen? Again, I will say this. Whilst the ultimate ending may seem a tad predictable, the pathway is pretty entertaining. They have a great build up to the climax, which is enough to sustain what we most likely already know is going to happen. So, any parts that seem foreseeable or overdone can be overlooked in favor of how much greatness there is in this film.

Now I know I mentioned some of the starring voice actors, but let me give credit to some of the others. We get some great performances from Xander Berkeley, John C. McGinley, LeVar Burton and C.C.H. Pounder, who voiced the aforementioned Amanda Waller. Seriously, this woman has got to have one of the best and most recognizable voices of all time, and she is fantastic here. You know, as much as I loved the people voicing the leads, I truly enjoyed this great supporting cast as well.

And there you have it. I must say, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is probably one of the best of all the DC animated films. Between that animation, the story and the acting, you're in for something great if you decide to watch this one. And should there ever be a plan to make a live action movie with both Superman and Batman, I hope the filmmakers, again, take a lesson from this.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer