Greetings,
There is a certain phrase coming to my mind right now. That phrase would be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" So here's a question. Why is that when we have a fantastic, albeit somewhat short and animated film based on a certain comic character, do we feel the need to make a crappy live action version two years later? I don't know, but let's talk about Green Lantern.
I believe we are all aware of the catastrophe that was the 2011 Green Lantern film, starring Ryan Reynolds at quite possibly his absolute worst. So sad, because I think he actually can be very good. And this film left such a bad taste in people's mouths that I doubt they would give anything with Green Lantern a chance. Again, sad, because there is something very good that stars one of our favorite green superheroes. It is the 2009 animated film, Green Lantern: First Flight.
As you may be able to tell from the title, this is another origin story for our hero, but it is a bit of one for the villain as well, because we see how both of them become what they are. The plot follows Hal Jordan, voiced by Law and Order: SVU's (former) own, Christopher Meloni, as he is chosen to be a green lantern and subsequently trained to do the job. He is supervised by a senior officer in the Green Lantern Corps named Sinestro, here played by Victor Garber. Okay, so we've got Chris Meloni and Victor Garber. Can this thing possibly get any better? Oh, hey there, Michael Madsen playing the awesome Kilowag! Welcome to the party. And while I speak of this great cast, let me also mention Kurtwood Smith as Kanjar Ro, Tricia Helfer as Boodika, and Olivia D'Abo as Carol Ferris. Yes, and Miss Olivia, of course, even with her very few lines managed to outdo Blake Lively, who got an entire film to try and get it right.
Anyway, beside that main story of this being Hal's first mission with the Corps, we also deal with a plot involving something called the Yellow Element. You see, in the light spectrum, yellow is the only color that can resist green. How artistic. So, naturally, that is the only thing that can go against the Green Lantern Corps power, and there is a pure concentration of it called, as I mentioned, the Yellow Element. This brings in a group of these little blue dudes called The Guardians, who have hidden it away, thus, not letting it be used against them. So it is very much sought after. If I am interpreting this correctly, that is what plays a major part in Hal Jordan being chosen. It is also what leads us to the climax of the story. And in an effort to not spoil any more of the film here, I think I'm going to stop when it comes to discussing that.
Now I hate to do this, but I must once again bring up the live action movie. It has been a while since I've seen that one, but I seem to remember that there are similar elements to both films. That is understandable since they are both origin stories for the Green Lantern. Yet, somehow, as I said, this shorter, animated film managed to tell the story so much better. The live action film was, to me, boring and unmemorable. I was not bored watching Green Lantern: First Flight. It was just plain good, and I really wish the other film could have been that as well.
So if you are a huge Green Lantern fan but were disappointed by the Ryan Reynolds version, I suggest you check this one out. But I guess if you're a huge GL fan, you've probably already seen it. For everyone else, I still say see this. It's entertaining, and it won't take up too much of your time. What more do you need?
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer