Greetings,
For those of you who didn't grow up in the eighties, as I did, but in a later time, I'd like to tell you about something about which you may have never heard. That thing would be called a "family show" Now these were shows on NETWORK television, if you can believe it, that kids and parents alike could watch together and enjoy, and none of the content made anyone uncomfortable. Well, aside from the occasional "very special episodes" about drugs or abuse, but they were usually done somewhat tastefully. Anyway, one of the greatest of these family shows was one that, no matter your age, you certainly know - The Cosby Show.
In the eighties, legendary comic Bill Cosby led a fantastic show about the adventures of the Huxtables, an affluent family living in Brooklyn. It consisted of the patriarch, Cliff and his wife, Clair, a doctor and a lawyer, respectively, and their five children, Sondra, Denise, Theo, Vanessa and Rudy. I think a lot of things for the show were taken from Cosby's own life, since he also had four girls and one boy. But that is what comedians do, isn't it? And don't even get me started on how excited I used to get on the night of every season premiere in anticipation of the the new opening theme song. Oh, yeah, that's another thing you kids might not know about. Every show used to have something called a theme song at the beginning. Good times. Anyway, the Huxtables were one of the best, most loving families I have ever seen on TV. I don't know how anyone can not like this show. In fact, I like it so much that I am going to tell you my Top Ten episodes. Some may surprise you; some may not. But everyone is entitled to have their favorite. These just happen to be mine. So here we go.
#10. "Claire's Liberation" (Season 7) - You know what can be really scary? A woman going through menopause. You know what's really funny? Claire Huxtable going through menopause and using it to torture her children. Yes, one day, Claire comes home from the doctor and tells the kids that she is starting menopause. After overhearing their crazy fears about what they think is coming, hot and cold flashes, massive mood swings and whatnot, she milks it for all it's worth. And it is hilarious. Oh, if only it was that funny in real life!
#9. "Happy Anniversary" (Season 2) - So this one was pretty good and funny, naturally, but there is one thing in particular that everyone remembers about this episode. So what happens? Well, we are celebrating the anniversary of Cliff's parents, Russell and Anna, who I absolutely love, by the way. Seriously, they were some of the best TV grandparents ever. Anyway, the family is going to send them on a cruise as a gift, but the BEST gift is their rendition of "Night Time is the Right Time", which is, in a word, epic.
#8. "The Last Barbecue" (Season 7) - As much as I love The Cosby Show as a whole, I have to admit that I did like some of the actors better than others. But in this episode, everyone, and I mean everyone, was on their A-game. Here, we have Theo planning the bachelor party that never was . . . gotten for Denise's husband, Martin. Theo wants to get a stripper, but Martin's response to that is "No! Heh, heh, heh!" Please remember that, because it is a running gag for the duration. Now this one turns into your basic men versus women episode, and the conflict spreads through the generations. That's fine with me, since it's that fact that gave us a great scene between the aforementioned Russell and Anna. And don't forget the secret barbecue sauce subplot. How could you, though.
#7. "A Shirt Story" (Season 1) - Even though the Huxtables were a very well to do family, they emphasized the fact that, while they did provide for their children , they did not spoil them. So when Theo comes home with a $95 designer shirt, his parents were like "No" This leads him to go to Denise for her seamstress skills, which would not exactly get her on Project Runway. . . maybe. What really makes this episode is the reaction of Theo when he tries on the "shirt", proving that kids can be great comic actors, too. When they learn from the best, anyway.
#6. "Slumber Party" (Season 1)/"The Birthday Party" (Season 6) - I had to have a tie here, since the plot of both of these episodes are very similar. It's basically a case of "Rudy used to be our cute little kid and now it's Olivia" But both of them were very funny in their own way. First, "Slumber Party" was about a slumber party (what!) for Rudy, and there were boys there for some reason, as well as a tiny Alicia Keys. No lie. Oh, and these two little girls, trying to sing a song but constantly being interrupted by Cliff. Adorable. Now "The Birthday Party" was about a birthday party (what - again!) for Olivia. We have more funny little kids, who are kind of all overshadowed by an absolutely hilarious little boy singing "Eye of the Tiger" That was the one of the best moments of my life. But I love these episodes because I love seeing Bill Cosby interact with children. He has such gift for it.
#5. "Where's Rudy?" (Season 4) - You know how I said Cliff and Clair did not spoil their kids? Well, that is true, and they are good disciplinarians. By that, I mean, sometimes, just sometimes, they like to bat their kids around like cat toys before doing the actual disciplining. Sweet! In this episode, Cliff and Clair are at the mall for her squash contest . . . seriously. Vanessa and Theo are charged with watching Rudy as they cruise said mall, but they act as older siblings do and she wanders off. Though she does find shelter in a sushi restaurant (trust me), they think they've lost her. And, oh, the fun mom and dad Huxtable have with them. Even though Rudy was the one who wandered off and should have been punished, too. But, you know, whatever!
#4. "I'm In with the In Crowd" (Season 6) - And here's another one where we refuse to skip straight to the punishment so that we can freak out the guilty party a little. This time it is only Vanessa who is the recipient of this creative parenting. While at a gathering with her friends, they become bored and decide to play The Alphabet Game, which involves drinking. Guess what happens? Good guess. And clearly Vanessa was still drunk during her, let's say, pre-punishment, because that is the only way she could take seriously what her parents were doing. Funny, though!
#3. "Shakespeare" (Season 4) - Two words: Christopher Plummer. Okay, I'll say more words, but, rest assured, those are the two that make me love this episode so much. Anyway, Theo and his friend, Cockroach, are having some trouble with Julius Caesar. But help comes when Grandpa Russell arrives (yay!) with his two friends, Jonathan Laurence, played by Plummer, and Dr. Fostor, played by Roscoe Lee Browne, another actor and character I came to love through this show. They begin to masterfully quote the work of Shakespeare, reminding us all of the beauty of those words, and impressing the people around them. They also do a great reading of a story that was written by Rudy. Somehow those guys with their mesmerizing voices made that story sound almost as good as the Shakespeare.
#2. "Off to See the Wretched" (Season 6) - We deal here with some disciplining again, but there no time for games on this one. Vanessa and her friends run off to Baltimore for a concert in a semi-stolen car, mind you, and, through a series of unfortunate events, they are caught. Okay, let me say this. Judging by one of my past picks on this list, I think I can safely say that Vanessa's friends are HORRIBLE people! Drinking, stealing cars, running away to other states! I know kids will be kids, but crap, man! Anyway, the best part of this episode, bar none, is Clair's reaction to the deception. It is absolutely priceless and Phylicia Rashad is at her very best. By the way, because of this, it is one of my life's goals to never make her mad. For real, I couldn't handle it.
#1. "Theo's Holiday" (Season 2) - Some parents will go to great lengths to teach their children a good life lesson, but none have gone so far as the Huxtables in this, my number one favorite episode. Theo seems to believe that he will be quite ready to move out of the house and support himself as soon as he turns eighteen, don't we all. Well, the next time he comes home, the family has reverted their house into an apartment building, The Real World Apartments, to be exact. Boy, did the idea of THAT change thanks to the nineties and MTV! Anyway, everyone plays their parts incredibly, especially Rudy/ Mrs. Griswald, and there is literally not an unfunny moment in this entire episode. I never get tired of watching this one, so it is my favorite.
And there you have it. My little tribute to one of the best shows of all time. It managed to be perfect for family viewing, but also unbelievably entertaining. Wow, look at that! It IS possible to do such a thing.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer