Greetings,
So, I am from a town in Western Pennsylvania. And since most people outside of this area have probably never heard of any of them, I have taken to telling them that I'm from "just outside of Pittsburgh". And I'm sure that many of the residents of small unknown towns just bring up the nearest big city when asked where they're from. It's a time saver.
And, as I have also mentioned, I have never quite felt like I fit into an area like this. I mean, I'm an artist who does not like sports, and there is really no place for my kind around here. Sure, we have an art college and the Andy Warhol Museum, but I'm not sure that this is a place to which artists would likely come. We tend to make a run for it if we actually want a career in the arts or the entertainment industry. I'm speaking simply from my own experiences of how people have treated me. I'm sure there are many residents here who are supportive of, or are themselves, artists. I just haven't met that many. Art just has never felt like much of a priority where I live.
Now I know that, recently, Pittsburgh has become a place that movie makers find appealing, though it always has held intrigue for some of them. It may be the appearance or the history, and, frankly, those things are what I have always found quite attractive about this area. Though I rarely go to the actual city of Pittsburgh, most of my time there having been due to school field trips, I have always enjoyed the way that you can practically feel the lives and stories that have existed there. It's something special for a city to possess. Still, it is nice that Hollywood has taken notice. Even Batman! P.S. This will not be my only Batman reference. If any of you read my last post, you will understand why.
Anyway, over the decades, we have had many people in the past leave the city and its surrounding areas who have gone on to become famous, even legendary. And we, who are still here, always enjoy seeing them do so. So I thought I would dedicate a list to my favorite Pittsburgh Escapees, as I call them. Now, keep in mind, some of these people may not be from actual Pittsburgh. They might be from, ya know, "just outside of Pittsburgh". But this title was easier than saying Western Pennsylvania Escapees. And remember, these are people who reached success OUTSIDE of the area. That means no Mr. Rogers, because he hit it big here and stayed here. And yet, he may just figure out a way to get mentioned. We'll see.
So here is my top ten.
#10. Billy Mays - I love a good TV pitchman, and he was the best. Even if I knew beyond any doubt that I did not need what he was selling, for a second, I would always consider buying. He has been well-remembered since his passing, and I think they even still show his commercials, which is a tad creepy. But I say thank you, sir, for bringing OxiClean and Mighty Putty into our lives.
#9. Tamara Tunie - If anyone out there is a fan of Law and Order: SVU, you'll know exactly who this fabulous lady is. She has played M.E. Melinda Warner on that show since 2000, but it took them at least five years, though it may have been more, to get her name in those title credits. That alone would have earned her a spot on this list, but she deserves it for many more reasons.
#8. Joe Manganiello - I did not see Magic Mike. I have seen but do not watch the True Blood show. I have merely seen Mr. Manganiello in some guests spots on shows like White Collar, where he played a criminal. So you may be wondering why I put him on this list. Well, look at him. Seriously, just look at him and tell me he shouldn't be here. But to redeem myself from being totally shallow, I've also heard that he does nice things for the Children's Hospital. So there. Not shallow!
#7. Charles "Chip" Esten - I recently talked on this blog about Whose Line Is It Anyway? And within that post, I talked about a guy named Chip Esten who is featured on it. I love this guy. He's funny, he can sing and he might just be a little cute. Sorry. Am I being shallow again?
#6. Frank Gorshin - He was The Riddler, my favorite villain in the Batman's Rogues Gallery, and he was in my favorite episode of CSI, so those two things give him an automatic in. Plus, he is of Yugoslav descent, and as a person of partial Yugoslav descent myself, that just gives me another reason.
#5. Dennis Miller - Yeah, I like Dennis Miller. Problem? He seems to be quite a polarizing character, since I've only ever talked to people who either love him or hate him. No in between. I just can't figure out why anyone would hate him. He's a funny guy who speaks out about the things in which he believes, even if it goes against the flow of Hollywood. I have to love a guy who can do that.
#4. Shirley Jones - I grew up watching her on The Partridge Family, and I absolutely loved her in Oklahoma!. I actually used to sing along with her and be reminded that I am not as good of a singer as I like to think I am. But who is, compared to this legend? She is a woman to be honored and admired for her immense talent and ever present gracious demeanor. Oh, and for all those adorable boys she brought into the world. Yes, her sons are very good looking, stepsons included.
#3. Jeff Goldblum - Oh, Mr. Goldblum. Yes, he was creepy in The Fly, and even more so as Ichabod Crane in a TV movie of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I did not make that up. But he made such a gallant effort at trying to replace Vincent D'Onofrio on Law and Order:Criminal Intent. I mean, you can't really replace Vinny D, but he did his best to keep the show great for us. I have just always been a fan. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that he does have a lot of quirkiness in him, and I've always gravitated toward those types of people. And I do like a man who could potentially rescue me from cloned dinosaurs. No points against him there!
#2. Julie Benz - I love a woman who can play a vampire as well as she did. And not one of these vampires of today that stay pretty even in a state of "I'm ready to eat!". Nope, she did it when things had to get ugly. That takes some courage. And since her days as Darla, we have seen Miss Benz beautifully move her career forward. She even got to be in a Rambo movie. But even with all the fabulous work she has done, I cannot forget the first time I saw her. It was as a character named Babs Nielson on a completely unappreciated show called Hi, Honey, I'm Home! Seriously, look it up. It was awesome!
#1. Michael Keaton - He's Batman. He will always be Batman. But that is not the only reason why he has earned the top spot on this list. I have always loved him. There is something undeniable about this man that makes him so incredibly likable. Of course, he is. Mr. Rogers doesn't hire meanies. Yes, he did work for Mr. Rogers, who has, indeed, managed to be mentioned here. And I think Michael Keaton has, more than anyone, never forgotten where he came from. He even brought it on home for the filming of his movie Gung Ho, in which he stood on the gazebo of downtown Beaver, and it is still there to this day. I don't know if it's official, but I call it the Michael Keaton Gazebo. Anyway, he is my favorite from this area, and it will take a lot for anyone to ever knock him from the top spot.
Hopefully, this fine group will not be the last to make the city proud. In fact, should my excellent writing ever allow me to break out of these walls, I may have to make another list and put myself on it. Kidding.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer