Friday, May 26, 2017

Top Ten Worst Hit Songs of 1984

Greetings,

I previously mentioned that I have never been a big fan of music in the 80's, generally speaking. But I managed to dig up some good ones from this particular year. Well, sadly, I have nothing left for that. So, let's move on to some of my justifications for not liking this decade all that much, with my personal opinions of the worst songs of 1984. Off we go.

#10. "Adult Education" Hall & Oates - Hey, remember yesterday, when I said that I LOVED Hall & Oates? Well, that stands. But this song does not. It's just so not their best. Not even close. For real, guys, I'm not mad. I'm only disappointed. But I like all your other stuff, so I'll just assume we're good.

#9. "Miss You Blind" Culture Club - I used to think this group was a One Hit Wonder, until I saw their Behind the Music episode. Turns out, they had quite a few hits. This is one of them. I don't like it. I'm allowed. Also..."Bet you got a good gun"? That's a weird line. Because I don't know what it means. And I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm better off not knowing.

#8. "Head Over Heels" The Go-Go's - There are a few important decisions we must make in life and one of them is...Bangles or Go-Go's. The answer is The Bangles. They are better, without a doubt in my mind. As far as The Go-Go's...go...Look, I can get down to "We Got the Beat"...a little, but that was top tier for them. This wasn't. In fact, I'm pretty sure this was about the time they started floundering a bit.

#7. "She Bop" Cyndi Lauper - Yes, yes. We all know what this song is about, and that's one of the reasons why I don't like it. Not that I'm a prude...much, but this is one of those proto- "Look, I'm edgy and grown up, because sex things!" kind of songs. And we've had an overabundance of those in the last 20 years. This probably helped push that along, so...BOO! Also, I just don't like how it sounds

#6. "Somebody's Watching Me" Rockwell - Really? This song came out in 1984? Um...topical. Look, let's be honest. There is but one reason why this became a hit. Because Michael Jackson sang back-up on it. And at this point in time, anything he was involved with was bound to become a hit of some kind. Even it is was awful. Yeah, more on that later.

#5. "Breakdance" Irene Cara - I think we can all agree that Irene Cara has a beautiful voice. So, who decided to pair it up with this song? I mean, I like a good, consistent beat, but holy crap, this thing sounds like a drill. Not cool. Not cool at all. And not a good enough partner for the lovely voice of Ms. Cara.

#4. "Union of the Snake" Duran Duran - WHAT the serious heck? Okay, I hate when the music video affects my opinion on a song too much, but this is different. This song is not good, sure, but the video is straight up horrifying. I can't even explain it. I'll just tell you to go watch it. Fair warning, though, the best time to watch it would be at a time when you don't need to be getting any sleep.

#3. "I Just Called To Say I Love You" Stevie Wonder - Okay, I just want to make it abundantly clear that my decision to put this on the list was in no way influenced by Jack Black's character in High Fidelity. Because, let's be honest, who would do anything that Jack Black tells them to do? No, I've never liked this song. Let's just say I expect more from Stevie Wonder. I mean, come on now. We all know what magic of which he is capable.

#2. "Dancing In the Dark" Bruce Springsteen - So, this may come as a surprise, but I LOATHE Bruce Springsteen. Yeah, I might have liked that song from Philadelphia...a lot, but I still keep the man at a distance. For so many reasons. And this song...this song. I just don't get it. And maybe it's his voice, but everything he says, or sings, just sounds creepy to me.

#1. "State of Shock" The Jacksons feat. Michael Jackson & Mick Jagger - Remember, when I said that, during this time, even awful things that Michael Jackson did could be popular? Yeah, well...this! I don't even know where to start. This is incredibly terrible. I mean, even though, I may not be a fan of Michael Jackson, or The Jacksons, or Mick Jagger, at the very least, I am aware that they are capable of having some musical standards. WHAT happened here? This is just the worse. Of 1984. In my opinion.

Well, there you have it. The songs of 1984 that scraped the bottom of the barrel, according to me anyway. Again, these are just my opinions. If any of these songs brought you joy, I'm happy for you. But for me? All I got from them was a feeling of "ick". It happens. Also, sorry I abused the ellipses so much in this post. That also happens.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer