Greetings,
Well, I haven't done one of these in a while. Maybe it's because dealing with what came out musically in 2016 drained me a bit. But we all must move on from all that mess, so I chose a random year to examine. I promise. I know this is an iconic year, but I just looked at the Year End Billboard charts and saw that I had already heard most of the songs. Thus, I wouldn't have to spend too much time exposing myself to new music that might be crap. Also, it meant this did not take as long as these lists normally do.
Now, if I'm being honest, I am not the hugest fan of 80's music, though there are some gems of course. And I found quite a few that came out in this particular year. So, the rules of my list-making once again? Everything comes from the aforementioned Year End Charts and nothing can appear on a list twice. Okay, let's get started with the songs I liked.
#10. "When Doves Cry" Prince - Believe it or not, I am not that much of a Prince fan...at all. But credit where it's due, I like this song. And hearing it against everything else that was being made at the time, you can really appreciate how innovative Prince was as a musician. Not that anyone needs to be reminded.
#9. "Break My Stride" Matthew Wilder - Quite a few songs on this list are going to fall into the category of "It just makes me happy!" This is one of them. It's just one of those songs that fun and silly and makes me joyfully bounce back and forth to the beat. Sometimes that is all we need.
#8. "Let The Music Play" Shannon - It's strange listening to a nostalgic song that was kind of nostalgic in its own time. For real, this song kind of sounds like a throwback to the disco era. Of which I am an occasional fan. Of course, because of the disco backlash of the previous years, dance music like this wasn't as front and center as it had been. But leave it to a good song with some great singing to survive and become a hit.
#7. "They Don't Know" Tracey Ullman - No, seriously. A song by Tracey Ullman is one of my favorite songs of this year. And it's not even a comedy song. As far as I know. It is, however, just adorable. Again, it sounds a bit..."throwback-y" for its time. Throwback-y to when, I don't know, but it is such a delight.
#6. "If Ever You're In My Arms Again" Peabo Bryson - See, he did non-Disney things. Like this, for example...which was a soap opera thing. Yeah. No bull crap. It was the theme song for a couple on Santa Barbara. Hey, whatever works. And who cares what is has been associated with? This guy has a great voice and I love a good love song.
#5. "Say It Isn't So" Hall & Oates - So, I love me some Hall & Oates. Ain't no getting around that. Sadly, they only two songs on the Billboard list this year, and...sadly, this is the only good one. According to me anyway. But it's darn good. Kinda understated in my opinion, at least, for them. Still, I'll take it.
#4. "Wrapped Around Your Finger" The Police - Well, Sting, is this another song about something creepy that you've tricked people into thinking is just a nice love song and then they end up playing it at weddings and whatnot? Yes. Yes, it kind of is. Which makes it awesome! Oh, sorry. We're in the 80's right now. It's...rad! Also, I like the video. But I like candles a lot, too, so...
#3. "Against All Odds" Phil Collins - So, this is a song from a movie of the same name, which I've never seen, and it starred Rachel Ward, Jeff Bridges, James Woods and the dad from Webster. Good times. Oh, and it was nominated for an Oscar. See, Phil Collins also did non-Disney things. But we already knew it, because this is one of his best.
#2. "The Longest Time" Billy Joel - This is my 2nd favorite song on this list AND my 2nd favorite song by Billy Joel of all time. My 1st? All in good time. A Top Ten Piano Man songs list is a to-do for me. Anyway, it's yet another song that feels out of its own time, but in the best way. Well, I did say I didn't like 80's music much, so of course, I'll gravitate towards songs that sound nothing like the 80's. Fun fact: I always thought this was done a capella. Nope. Apparently, it's not. How 'bout that?
#1 "Drive" The Cars - I can't imagine a song title and an artist name going together any better than this. Unless Taylor Swift releases a song called "Overrated". Anywho...Yeah, this song is just so soothing and lovely. It's darn near perfect in my book. And lest we forget the great video that went along with it. I mean, we get to see Paulina and Ric together before they got married, and it's so sweet knowing what a long and loving relationship they would eventually have. AND it was directed by...my man, Timothy Hutton! What? WHAT!! It can't get better than that. No wonder this is my number one.
Okay, I hope you enjoyed reading about my favorite songs of this year. Nothing but crap tomorrow. Tune in!
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer.