Thursday, February 9, 2017

Top Ten Misfits Songs (from the series Jem & the Holograms)

Greetings,

So, as you can see, I had to clarify which Misfits I am discussing today. Apparently, there's more than one. But if you read my post yesterday, you already knew what was coming. Today, we will be ranking what I consider the best songs from the archnemeses of the Holograms, the Misfits. Now THEY said that their songs are better, and sometimes they were correct. I mean, there's some fun in the badness of our villain band here.

Once again, credit to Barry Harman, the songwriter, and the singing voice of Pizzazz, Ellen Bernfeld. Perfect choice, by the way. Her vocals had sass, in the best way, just like The Misfits. So, let's get into this music, shall we? Or as the aforementioned, Pizzazz, would probably say, "We're gonna talk about this music, whether you like it or not...BECAUSE I SAID SO!" Off we go!

#10. "Gimme Gimme Gimme" - "Gimme, gimme, gimme, or I'll take it and make it mine!" Okay, right off the bat, we see that The Misfits may not have the best messages to their songs. But they're the villains, so it's cool. Also, this gives us some insight that maybe one of the members is used to getting everything she wants, i.e. "Daddy, I need to buy a music company!" "Sure, why not?"

#9. "Outta My Way" - This one here is the first song we get from The Misfits. Again, very appropriate to prepare us for things to come. And when you see them coming, for realsies, outta their way. See, how nice I am, to warn you.

#8. "Surprise, Surprise" - I think my favorite part of this song is the little "Heh, heh, heh" that we can hear. It sounds a little creepy, but that's a good thing in my book. Also, I would prefer this song to "Pop Goes the Weasel" when I'm cranking the handle on a Jack in the Box. Personal tastes, just sayin'.

#7. "Listen Up" - When some people say, 'Listen up', you do it. This is one of those times. And apparently, according to this song, it's the end of my career. Which I would be worried about. If I had one. Sad face.

#6. "Makin' Mischief" - If I had to dub any song by The Misfits as their theme song, I would say it's this one. I think, for most fans of the show, it's the one we think of first when we think of them. It certainly reminds us of their love of shenanigans and hijinks...and sometimes capital crimes. And since "mischief" and all, this also might make a good theme song for Loki.

#5. "We're Off and Running" - They sang this song whilst on a roller coaster. I know I shouldn't bring up the 'video' that went along with it, but even without that, I would love this song. And yes, ladies, you are looking stunning.

#4. "Takin' It All" - We're gonna call this the cousin song to #10! Except it's much better. Ironically, they sang this right before they lost a competition. Of course, they rarely win, so when else would they sing it.

#3. "Free and Easy" - So, we've established that the members of The Misfits can act ever so slightly entitled and they also don't doing work much. So what a perfect song to describe how they want to live! For real, in the episode, they literally have a conversation about how work sucks and all that right before they sang it. And for someone who is stressed...A LOT!...I can't really disagree with the message of this song entirely.

#2. "I Like Your Style" - This song was the first one they performed when they got a new member, who happened to be a saxophone player, and they really take advantage of that here. It sounds fantastic and I love the chorus melody. This is one of those times when you know the songwriter was not messing around.

#1. "Universal Appeal" - "In my own mind's eye, I am the sky, so why should I be shy, when I've got universal appeal!" I mean, does that not just sum it all up for how The Misfits feel about themselves? They're rad (because 80's) and you're not. End of story. Seriously, though, I love the lyrics of this song a lot, and the music fits it perfectly. Top tier, indeed.

And there you have my favorite songs by The Misfits. I must say, if they and the Holograms were around IRL, I would have a tough time deciding which one I liked better, since both have a collection of great songs. Gee, I hope another group doesn't show up with music that blows both of them out of the water! Ha, ha, ha! Yeah, see you tomorrow.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer