Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Top Ten Jem & the Holograms Songs

Greetings,

If you read my analysis on the songs of last year, you'll know I was incredibly displeased. Thus, I was motivated to get into my metaphoric time machine and head back to a period in my life when music made me happy. Specifically, my childhood. And, believe it or not, said childhood was rather dominated by the music of one show: Jem & the Holograms.

I've talked about this show before, like when I listed my favorite episodes, but an important aspect of the series was the music, of course. So, I decided to share with you all the ones that are my personal favorites. Now, keep in mind, all these songs are about a minute or so long, as they were being incorporated into a half hour show, so there's not a ton to say about them. Still, there was quite a bit of care put into them by the writer Barry Harman, who, with the exception of the theme, wrote all the songs. ALL OF THEM! That...is impressive. And let us not forget the wonderful singing of Ms. Britta Phillips, who was the musical voice of Jem, herself.

So, let's get started with my Top Ten Jem & the Holograms songs. Off we go. Wait, no. I mean...Showtime, Synergy! Oh, quiet! You know you would have said the same thing. Carry on!

#10. "Love Will Show the Way" - There's something very haunting about the melody of this song, whilst also having some hopeful lyrics. It's tough to mix those things and have them fit together well, but mission accomplished here.

#9. "Only the Beginning" - So, this is the first song we heard from Jem & the Holograms, aside from the opening credits. And it literally was only the beginning. No false advertising here, my friends. None at all.

#8. "Can't Get My Love Together" - Well, for crying out loud, Jem/Jerrica. I can't imagine why you're having this problem. Oh, wait. Yes, I can. All things considered, plot-wise, this tune could make me roll my eyes, but it is a lovely, heartbreaking song. Can't ask for more than that?

#7. "Deception" - And to continue on that subject...Now THIS should have been the theme song for the show. And if you've seen the series, you'll know why. You also would have gotten my references for the previous song. Yeah, there might be a tad bit of dishonesty between characters. Just sayin'. At least, we got a good song out of it. Hooray!

#6. "Dear Diary" - I like diaries, even though I've never been good at keeping one. At least, not in the traditional sense. But, as a writer, I like the message in this song, talking about how valuable and comforting writing things down can be. It is. I know.

#5. "Straight From the Heart" - Whilst singing this song, the group was wearing attire with a "Martinique Look". It was a plot point in the episode. Anyway, as per usual, they tried to match it with the music. And, again, it's a great message about how people aren't always what you expect and they might have something wonderful to share with you.

#4. "You Already Know" - I get such a kick out of the melody for this song. It's very upbeat and playful, with what I feel is something of a late 50's, early 60's kind of style to it. It's just a fun love song about a couple in love. So sweet.

#3. "Let the Music Play" - So, this song is from the land of Shangri-La. What? Hey, just because Josh Gates can't find it doesn't mean that no one ever did. Anyway, amidst the sea of 80's glam rock that we love from this show, this song really stood out. It is a legit gorgeous piece of music, and it just makes me feel comforted when I hear it. And since I think that was the point, excellent work!

#2. "When It's Only Me and the Music" - I guess we can just call this the theme song for the character, Danse. Because I'm pretty sure the only times I heard this song on the show was when she was, well, dancing. Even in space, as the lyrics dictate. Joking aside, this is a lovely song, and the lyrics and melody are a perfect fit for each other.

#1. "You're Always in My Heart" - Oh, My Feels! Yeah, I'm not one to be ruled by such, but we are dealing with something nostalgic here, so it's okay. And there are plenty of feels in this song. It's basically a song for their father who passed away, and I get misty-eyed for real when I hear this one. But it also has a heartwarming aspect to it. I mean, there are few things more beautiful than promising to never forget those you love and those who loved you.

And there you have it. My favorite songs from Jem & the Holograms. Mock the hardcore 80's-ness of this show all you want, but some of that music was very good. It certainly holds up for me after all these years. But it didn't stop with just the titular group. Oh, no. We've got two more bands to get through. So, tune in tomorrow, to hear what I think of one of them. And if their songs are, indeed, better.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer