Greetings,
It is true that the mid-sixties were a profoundly great time in music. I think I proved that yesterday with my Best Songs of 1966 list. Sadly, in the midst of all the awesomeness...sorry, grooviness, there was also some seriously not good stuff on the charts. The strange thing is that a lot of the not so great songs were by people I, otherwise, like. And a few of them will be featured here. So, let's go down the bad road to the past and talk about what I consider the Worst Hit Songs of 1966. Prepare yourself.
#10. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" B.J. Thomas - Yeah, sorry, but I've never liked this song. Many will disagree with me, but I really do not like this song. It's so...just kinda there, ya know. And it's just a shame that someone with a good voice, which is what I think about B.J. Thomas, had to cover it this year.
#9. "Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind?" The Lovin' Spoonful - Again, I dig some songs from this band, but just not this one. It feels super weak to me. Although, it may not be their fault. I kind of got sick of this song after this one episode of Beverly Hills, 90210 played it over and over and over again. If you've seen that one, you'll know.
#8. "Secret Agent Man" Johnny Rivers - I've seen a lot of low budget movies where you can tell they couldn't get rights to a song they wanted to use, so they hire someone to write a soundalike. That's what this song sounds like to me. It's like a Poor Man's Bond theme. Turns out, this was the theme to a show called Danger Man, which sounds to me like a Bond knockoff...though it kinda came first. Yeah, timelines are weird, so...forget all that. I just don't like this song.
#7. "Li'l Red Riding Hood" Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs - And here we thought Johnny Depp in Into the Woods was the first one to make the Big Bad Wolf super creepy! No, he wasn't the first...but he was the most. No, this tune has always made me feel a little uncomfortable, and I love wolves. So, shame on whoever wrote this thing. My frilly feels should be more important than the success of that person's career. Am I right?
#6. "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" Nancy Sinatra - Oh, I'm gonna get in trouble for this one, I bet. Once again, I enjoy Nancy Sinatra's voice. I think she's very talented. But this comes on and, almost on command, my eyes roll. I mean, yelling at people on the TV is one thing, but talking to your shoes and telling them what to do? No.
#5. "Somewhere, My Love" The Ray Conniff Singers - 'Zzzz...Zzzz...No, Dr, Phil, stop judging me. I don't wanna get real!..Wh-what? What? I'm..I'm up. I'm awake.' Yeah, the point I'm trying to make here is that this song is sleep-inducingly boring. And apparently, it can make me have weird dreams. It comes from the movie Doctor Zhivago, which I've never seen all the way through. Perhaps, it is boring as well. So...match made it Heaven?
#4. "Elusive Butterfly" Bob Lind - "I chase the bright, elusive butterfly of love." Sigh. I give up. For real, I give up on this year in music. I just...WHAT! Look, as a poet, I can attest to the fact that some of us use words that go beyond conversational. We try to paint a picture. But we also need to learn to reel it in every now and then. I don't think anyone taught that to this writer. When it comes to writing about butterflies, you, sir, are no Mariah Carey.
#3. "Baby, Scratch My Back" Slim Harpo - This is literally a how-to guide on scratching someone's back. Why? I have no idea. Is is supposed to be a metaphor or something? I'll give it this though, it had some sweet guitar playing. If only that could have been wrapped around some better lyrics.
#2. "Ballad of the Green Berets" SSgt. Barry Sadler - I want to make this abundantly clear. I cannot express with mere words how much I respect and honor the men and women in uniform who protect us and our country. Having said that, this song is so not good. I know it meant something to people at the time, and maybe it still does, but message aside, it's just not a very well constructed song. Now I know it's supposed to be about a real person who died, and that's tragic. I guess maybe I feel this way because I think he deserved better.
#1. "Born a Woman" Sandy Posey - Okay, quick musical plot synopsis: Apparently, all of us women are inherently weak and victims and we were predisposed to be the world's doormat. But wait, ladies! There's hope! There's a light at the end of the tunnel! If we find ourselves a boyfriend, then we will finally have reason to live. Oh, deep joy! WHAT...the serious crap!?! Listen, if you have found yourself a good, loving, caring man, God bless you and I wish you much happiness. But having a man does not give a woman an identity. We can be strong and independent on our own, or we can be strong and independent within a relationship. Look, I have never seen the timeline of the Women's Movement, but I think this song may pinpoint one of the times that pushed it into overdrive.
So, there you have it. The Worst Of 1966, according to me. Now, I know that some of you may have your curiosity peaked by what I said about these songs, but if you are going to have a listen, don't say I didn't warn you.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer