Monday, October 3, 2016

All About Eve - Movie Reveiw

Greetings,

If there's one thing we know about stardom and celebrity, it's that some people will do anything to have it. Even something as crazy as making an enemy out of Bette Davis. What! No, ma'am. That is not a wise thing to do, especially for something as pointless as a career in the entertainment industry. But, apparently, no one told that to Anne Baxter, because this is exactly what she did in the superb film, All About Eve. I may be giving some loose spoilers about the plot, but nothing too detailed.

All About Eve is a 1950 film by director Joseph Mankiewicz and based on the short story "The Wisdom of Eve" by Mary Orr, who did NOT get an onscreen credit. What's up with that? As a writer, I am personally offended by this, but let's move on. It stars, as I mentioned, Bette Davis, as Margo Channing, a Broadway star who is greatly respected but also not so young anymore. It happens. One evening, she meets Eve Harrington, played by Anne Baxter, who is a very big fan of Margo's. Almost...suspiciously big. Yes, she is also a wannabe starlet, but she keeps this under wraps as she strategically works her way into the lives of Margo and her friends.

And who are her friends? Well, we have Karen Richards, played by Celeste Holm. She's married to the writer of Margo's current play, Lloyd Richards. It is, in fact, Karen who sees poor, little Eve, who is constantly at the playhouse, and brings her in to meet everyone. I'm sure she won't regret that at all. Spoilers: she does. Among the others that we meet are Birdie, Margo's maid, played by Thelma Ritter, and Bill Sampson, played by Gary Merrill. Bill is Margo's boyfriend, who is - wait for it - EIGHT YEARS her junior! Oh, snap! I just heard a bunch of monocles pop out all over the world.

Anywho, they all meet Eve, who gives them a story about growing up poor and losing her husband in the war. Really? Yeah, that sounds super true. Well, okay, it's plausible, but knowing what I know about Eve, it's not so much. But they fall for it and embrace her. Soon, it becomes clear, firstly and mostly to Margo, that Eve is not there to help her but to replace her, both in her professional life and her personal life. Whilst Eve does have some success accomplishing the former, Margo's friends begin to realize that perhaps Eve is not what or who she claims to be, and she may be, to reference something Thelma Harper once said on Mama's Family, "not paddling with both oars in the water". For real, though, if you're gonna do the whole Eve thing, leave out the part where you try to steal someone's S.O. It makes what you're doing a bit obvious. The more you know and whatnot.

Still, the journey that the characters go on is a tumultuous one, indeed. Friendships and relationships are tested, so are some of the feelings that these people have about themselves. But this whole things has to have a bit of turbulence. Otherwise, the classic "bumpy night" line would be pointless. See, I'm always thinking.

Now I suppose we can call this film a cautionary tale about who you choose to let into your life, and that being a star may be fun, but it's not worth your soul. No, I'm being serious, Hollywood people. It's not. Sorry if you already made that mistake. Also, whatever you do to other people might just come back around to you. Not that I'm giving anything away about the ending. Or am I? Guess you'll have to watch the movie.

Okay, now I have to talk about something that some people may deem controversial. I guess. So, I've heard that there are people who have issues with this film, because, though it does have two female leads, which is something that many strive to have in cinema, it pits them against each other. Because that never happens in real life? Yeah, no. Look, if that's your complaint, it's clear that what you want are movies with 'Mary Sue's, not real, complex female characters with depth and complexity. If Margo and Eve were perfect, they would be boring. They're not. They are riveting. So, there.

In case it wasn't obvious, I am 100% recommending All About Eve. It is utterly brilliant and a must-see for anyone who loves great cinema. It's also a staple for those who are fascinated by the not-so-nice side of fame. It's a far more prominent side than many people are willing to admit. But at least, at some point in time, Hollywood was willing to show us its multitude of flaws. We need that back. A lot.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer