Friday, October 30, 2015

Top Ten Twilight Zone Episodes

Greetings,

If there is one thing I miss when it comes to television today, it's good writing. Don't get me wrong. Some good writing can still be found, if you look hard, but it's just not as prominent as it once was. I know that, in some cases, when our parents and grandparents tell us how good things were back in the day, it's not totally accurate. But every now and then, they are 100% right. Take for example, one of the greatest shows of all time, The Twilight Zone.

For anyone who doesn't know, and shame on you if you don't, The Twilight Zone was a TV show that ran from 1959 to 1964. It was created by Rod Serling, a brilliant writer who was the master of the twist ending. And if there's anyone reading this who just said, "But I thought that was Shyamalan!", I have one response - YOU! OUT! Anyway, this is one of my favorite shows for just that reason. The writing is amazing, and I have high standards where that's concerned. At least, with other people. So, as this is apparently a scary time of year, I am going to share my Top Ten Episodes of The Twilight Zone. I'll do my best not to give spoilers, but no promises. Besides, I always give a warning. Off we go.


#10. "Night Calls" (Season 5) - Okay, History time, kids! Did you know that there used to be no such thing as Caller ID? I know, right? Well, in this episode, a little old lady starts getting suspicious phone calls, which slowly turn to creepy phone calls, then downright scary. The lesson here is just never answer your phone unless you have Caller ID. Seriously, though, this is one of those episodes that starts one way, but ends up in another. In fact, I found the ending to this downright heartbreaking.

#9. "Nothing in the Dark" (Season 3) - This episode tells the story of another little old lady, holed up in her basement, refusing to open the door for fear that "Mr. Death" (Wow, really?) is waiting for her outside. She is suddenly faced with a choice to make when a man, played by a young Robert Redford, asks to be let in for help as he has been shot. The woman is reluctant to do so, because she is so afraid, but the decision could be the difference between life and death. Hold up, Grandma! Young Robert Redford is asking to be let in and you're hesitant? Oh, wait. How can I phrase that so the youngsters will understand me? Um...okay... Hold up, Grandma! Random guy from One Direction is asking to be let in and you're hesitant? There! I think I covered all my bases.

#8. "The Hitch Hiker" (Season 1) - Because what can happen to you when you get involved in a normal hitchhiking situation isn't terrifying enough. On the other hand, we all sometimes need a lesson on when to accept what's going on in our life. Or, ya know, otherwise.

#7. "The Bard" (Season 4) - Even though The Twilight Zone is a standard for the macabre, every so often they managed to go down a different road, even that of comedy. Such is the case with this episode. It's all about a guy trying to make it as a TV writer and having little success. So, with the help of a little black magic, because that's always a good idea, he inadvertently summons William Shakespeare. No, really. The man decides to turn this into a way to help himself. And it does...or does it? Oh, and "Hi to you, too, young Burt Reynolds"!

#6. "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" (Season 1) - Fear is a powerful thing, but sometimes, it only has as much power as we give it. In this episode, because of something unknown happening, a neighborhood full of people begin to get suspicious of each other in order to preserve themselves from a threat that may not even exist. It shows how we have the potential to react in certain situations and how that makes us appear to others.

#5. "Living Doll" (Season 5) - Dolls are creepy. They just are. Except for Barbie. She's usually okay. Anywho, after getting married to a woman with a child to whom he is not exactly extremely nice, Telly Savalas is being tormented by, Tina, the little girl's talking baby doll, which are the worst kind, by the way. "Who loves ya, baby?" indeed. Yes, this is an episode I put in the category of very disturbing, but at least, it's just a doll and not a real, scary kid. That would be awful.

#4. "It's a Good Life" (Season 3) - Oh, joy. An episode about a real, scary kid. Darn you, Rod Serling! Anyway, here we have the story of a young boy named Anthony, and he has a special power - mind reading. And if he doesn't like what you're thinking, you might just be in trouble. This leads everyone in the town to be very nervous around him, giving him whatever he wants, and trying desperately not to upset him. Ya know, I don't like spoiled kids, but this is a bit much.

#3. "4 O'Clock" (Season 3) - One of the amazing things that this show did was talk about themes that were not only universal but timeless. It makes us think of things that still resonate today. In this episode, there is a man who is spreading gossip about his neighbors, whether it's true or not. He calls them, sends anonymous letters and even phones their employers to make his accusations. In one instance, he even says "Never mind how I know. I just know, that's all". Sound a tad familiar? You know, there's this internet meme floating around that says "The accusation is the proof". I guess it's meant to mock people who think evidence is not a necessity, and there are a lot of them these days. However, that statement is one that I find quite terrifying. Spoilers! This guy got what was coming to him and, perhaps, that should be a lesson to others.

#2. "Nick of Time" (Season 2) - This list would not be complete without one of the Shatner episodes. Most people would probably have chosen the one where he was on the plane as it spotlights his tendency to overact. But I love me some subtly and that's what we get here. At least, as much as we can get given the great man involved. Anyway, this episode is about a couple who very innocently start asking questions to a little fortune telling machine...that looks like Satan. What could possibly go wrong? As he asks more questions, the man starts to trust the machine more and more, to the point where he looks to be near obsessed. I suppose it shows what happens when we trust things we should not.

#1. "Time Enough At Last" (Season 1) - No doubt, this one is probably on the "Best Of" list for a lot of fans. And obviously, it tops mine. It's about a guy who loves to read. My dream man, and not just because he's played by Burgess Meredith. All this poor man wants is time to read, and one day he gets it. But is this thing he longed for really a gift or not? Look, even if you haven't seen this episode, you probably know the answer to that. It's one of the show's most classic twists, but it's still definitely worth the watch. Not to mention the fact that it inspired one of the funniest end credit scenes on The Drew Carey Show. Because Drew Carey and his writers understood comedy and parody. I miss those guys. But I digress. This is the best episode in my heart.

And there you have my favorites from The Twilight Zone. They just don't make shows like this anymore. Not that they haven't tried. Yes, there were two revivals of this show over the decades, quality ranging, in my opinion, from "Meh" to "NOOOO!!!" Rumor has it they might go for a third try at it. Yeah, I'm going vote against that one, if I have a vote. Which I don't. There is also talk of another movie based on it. I guess I'm a little more okay with that, as long as we promise to respect safely regulations on set. Ya know? That thing they didn't do with the first film. Bottom line, in this case, the original is always the best. So, get the DVDs or head on over to Netflix or just keep your eyes peeled for reruns on TV. Any way you choose, this is a show that must be watched.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer