Greetings,
Hey, remember yesterday when I talked about a book inspired by the work Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? Well, today, I am going back to basics, back to where it all started, back to how things looked to the first people to ever lay eyes on Sherlock Holmes, both by way of words and pictures. Now, I normally wouldn't review a book based on the particular packaging, but I kind of have no choice to today with The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes. Also, short review this time, but you'll see why.
Okay, we all know that the Holmes stories are wonderful and have been so for over a hundred years. What you may not know is that a lot of them were published in a magazine called The Strand. That's where people got a good look at Sherlock Holmes. And I do mean "look" because the text of Mr. Doyle was accompanied by the illustrations of Sidney Paget. They are beautiful drawings that added so much to those stories, especially for those readers who have little skill at mind drawings. Yeah, that's what I call them.
Now, I am not a person who buys multiple copies of books I already have because something got a new cover or came out in paperback. No, I'm happy to have one copy and read it until it falls apart. Then, I get a new one. However, if I can find something legit special about a version of something I already have, I'm usually in. In this case, I was thrilled to find a collection of the Holmes stories along with all of those original illustrations. I believe in painting pictures with your imagination by way of words. That's what they're supposed to do, after all. But when a writer and an illustrator can be so in sync, it takes things to a different level. When I looked at these drawings, they are exactly how I pictured Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson and all of their side characters and villains. Even though we've had a few live action versions, I always go back to these images. I feel like a lot of the hardcore fans feel the same way.
So, it's hard to review this in a way that hasn't been done before. I mean, what can I say? These stories are amazing. Always have been; always will be. And everyone knows that. But, as I said, finding them put into a collection where we can also have the artwork was major for me. Yes, I happen to think finding great books is major. I can't be the only one. So, I know this review is pretty short, as I warned, but if you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes and you find this special edition, get it. You'll be able to see these legendary tales in a whole new way.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer