Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Consenses: The Story - Documentary Review

Greetings,

I'm going to do something a little different today. Normally, when I review a documentary, it's one that has been released in the theaters or on DVD or some other widespread way, and they are usually feature film length. Not the case today. This documentary is less than an hour long and found on a website that I follow called Consenses. Hence, the title. But, perhaps, I should give some back story first.

If there's one thing I love about social media, it's the way that like-minded people can find each other quite easily. Okay, I know that has potential to be a bad thing, too, but we'll stay positive today. Now I had never heard of Consenses, until they started following me on Twitter. I'm pretty sure they found me because I started following Sally Taylor. What's the connection? Well, as it happens, Sally Taylor is the one who founded Consenses. And I'm so glad that she did.

Consenses, if you don't already know, is something that was created to connect artists to each other, and this documentary tells the story of how it came to be and about some of the people who have taken part in it. It's something of a game of artistic "Telephone" where one person shares a piece of their own art and it inspires another person to interpret it by way of another medium and another of the senses, and then it goes on to another person and another person, until the whole thing somehow manages to come full circle. Sally actually uses this fable called "The Elephant and the Blind Men" to show the spirit of what she's trying to accomplish with this. How some things, even the whole world, can only make sense when we come together and see what others are experiencing, so we can build their entire existence. It's almost as though bringing things forth by way of our individual perceptions can create a whole new life.

I have to say it is so refreshing to see everyone connect the intricate way we were all made with the intricate way that everything was made through art, so that we can make, with our own hands, even more beauty. I feel like the world through the eyes of artists is like clouds through the eyes of children. A million eyes can look at the same thing, but come up with a million different interpretations of what that can be. Now, I happen to be one of those strange people who believes in absolutes, but I also believe that some things are open for interpretation. Art is number one on that list. In fact, I think it is our duty in life to show everyone how many ways and how many angles that can be used to expose every facet of every thing we encounter each day of our lives. And through Consenses, so many amazing artists have been able to do that, hand in hand with their fellow creators.

Okay, I see now that I have gone off on a bit of a tangent, maybe more reviewing the project than the documentary, and I apologize for that. Getting back to the task at hand, I will say that this short film is a wonderful account of what the project is and the gifted people who are holding it together, pushing it forward and giving it life. I sincerely feel honored to be connected to it any way that I can be. If you're interested in this, you can go to consenses.org, watch this documentary and find out for yourself about the fantastic things that are happening.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer