Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Last Five Years - Movie Musical Review

Greetings,

You could call me a big fan of musicals. Good ones, mostly, but I'm really open to anything that has music involved. So, when I saw a trailer for this movie, I was quite interested. I had never heard of it, and despite my being a big fan of musicals, I didn't know it was a stage musical before. I actually thought it was something made to be a movie. But what with the unique setup and all, I should have known that this was not born in Hollywood. Still, when it comes to stage to screen adaptations, it tends to be hit or miss with me. So, where does this one fall? Let's find out.

The Last Five Years is a movie based on a 2002 Off-Broadway show that was filmed over only 21 days on a budget of a mere $2 million. That sounds good. I like me some low-budget action. The bad news? It was filmed in 2013, but did not find its way to theaters until February of 2015. THREE theaters, from what I've heard. Is that even possible? Actually, I'm kind of surprised at this. Unless "Anna Kendrick Singing" as a plot point isn't working in cinema anymore. Okay, moving on. Let's get to the plot.

It's about a relationship from beginning to end. Sound too overdone? Well, it is. That's why it's also about a relationship from end to beginning. Let me explain. It tells, in song, the story of Jamie and Cathy. Cathy tells her perspective of their life together starting at the end and working her way backwards, while Jamie tells the same story from his perspective starting at the beginning and working forward. And they meet in the middle when they get engaged. Does this sound confusing? Well, that's what I thought. And the first time I watched it, I still thought that. Even now, I think there were things they could have done to help us follow along more easily. But after I watched it again, I got it and it wasn't that tricky. Honestly, if you don't look at the big picture, and take each seen as its own entity, it's done quite well and entertaining. All the musical numbers are well written and the performances are pretty good. Oh, yeah, the performers.

This movie basically has two actors in it, along with a bunch of extras. As I mentioned, it stars Anna Kendrick as Cathy, an aspiring actress who seems to be remaining aspiring despite all her efforts, and Jeremy Jordan as Jamie, a writer who reaches great success at the expense of his personal life. Of course, everyone knows Anna, but Jeremy is best known for being in Newsies on Broadway and, where I know him from, as Jimmy in Smash, season 2. I hated - HATED!! - his character on that show. He was like male Rachel Berry from Glee. Okay, wow, that was a bit much. No one is that bad. But he was very obnoxious, at the same time being portrayed as someone we should root for, occasionally. At least, people called him out on his crap more than one time. But I digress. That character may have been awful, but I actually think Jeremy is abundantly talented and he also seems like a nice guy in real life. Honestly, these two, who had to carry the movie themselves for the most part, did a fantastic job. I felt something for these characters and, even though you know that end from the beginning, there still something that makes you want things to work out for them. That is not easy to do.

So, good music, good acting. Anything wrong besides the initially, slightly confusing premise? Yeah, but they're mostly technical issues. Like the lighting and the way a lot of the scenes are shot. It's hard to explain. Okay, the lighting thing is self-explanatory when you see it, but I feel like whoever did the blocking was a prankster. I'm not kidding. But I guess those are small things. Important, but you can try to block it out. Also, this thing allegedly takes place, mostly, in New York City. If they say so, but wherever they are, it looks awfully clean. Too clean. Very Nora Ephron-y if you will. I'm not saying New York isn't a great and exciting city, but I haven't seen it look this adorable since You've Got Mail. Again, though, look passed it.

Overall, I'd say that, if you are a fan of the musical, you should give it a watch. I mean, the music is good, particularly the lyrics and the way they tell the story, and the acting is powerful, and even though it has problems, those really are the important things in a movie like this. I just hope that through word of mouth and the true fans The Last Five Years will get some of the recognition it deserves.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer