Saturday, May 2, 2015

Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 1973

Greetings,

I find something very intriguing about transitional years in music, when one, I guess, fad is starting to find its way out only to make room for another one that will soon be making its way in. This particular year took place just as that so-called hippie music was starting to fade and we were on the cusp of the disco movement. For better or worse. So, the things we find on the charts in years like this are kind of...whatever. Yeah, we have a mix here, but I'm happy to say there is plenty of good. And now I will share that good with you all. Come and see my personal favorites, my Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 1973.

#10. "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" George Harrison - I know. I'm as surprised about this one as you all probably are. Okay, look. Whilst I am a huge admirer of The Beatles, George and I never exactly clicked. But I must give credit where it's due, and this is a really good song. I might even call it one of his best. Even if it's not, it's one of the best of this year.

#9. "Me and Mrs. Jones" Billy Paul - I feel about this song very similarly to the way I feel about the movie The Bridges of Madison County. I have issues with the content of the story, but I cannot deny how wonderfully it is executed. And Billy Paul was a fantastic singer. I really don't know why his career or, at least, his popular success, didn't last longer. It should have.

#8. "Drift Away" Dobie Gray - This is a song I have liked for pretty much my entire life. Still do. It's what I call a 'stopper', which means that when I hear it on the radio as I station surf, I stop and listen. It's just such a feel good song, and nothing about it needs to be changed. Which is why no covers of it are or were necessary. Yeah.

#7. "Do It Again" Steely Dan - It's funny. I've never considered myself a fan of Steely Dan, though I kind of don't know why. Every time I hear one of their songs, I tend to like it. And this one is no exception. Now I don't know what the 'it' is that they want to do again, but it better not be the one I'm thinking.

#6. "Killing Me Softly With His Song" Roberta Flack - I hate to say this, but I think the first time I really heard this song was through a cover, the one by The Fugees, which is pretty good. But once I heard the original, I was sold. It's better, but what did I expect? I still don't know what the title means, but...what? Look, I'm not one to make assumptions. Either way, who cares? Great song.

#5. "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love?" The Spinners - Someone once told me that they thought The Spinners were the poor man's Temptations. Uh, bull crap! Don't get me wrong. I love The Temptations, but I think The Spinners are just as good, maybe sometimes even better. Sometimes. And I consider this song to be one of the highlight of their career. Not as awesome as "Rubberband Man" but, seriously? Is anything?

#4. "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" Vicki Lawrence - Yes, you are reading that correctly. Vicki Lawrence, Mama herself, was something of a pop star in her youth. As well she should have been. She is a great singer. Anyway, this is a story song, which, from what I've been told, was a thing back in the 70's. Back when people gave some thought and creativity to what they wrote as lyrics. And it's a pretty darn good story with murder and betrayal and all sorts of stuff. In short, it has a better plot than most movies these days. It's just plain great. Although, in this case, I'm going to say you can go ahead and also give the Reba cover a listen, because that's actually good, too. And yes, I did squeal when I heard her and Vicki duet that sucker. Who wouldn't?

#3. "You're So Vain" Carly Simon - Warren Beatty. What? Don't you know you're not allowed to have a conversation concerning this song without saying who you think it's about? Well, that's my guess. That aside, I love this song. I know it has been overanalyzed to death in the past forty years, but I have to say, it has some of the most clever lyrics I've ever heard. The lyrics alone are legendary and that is not easy to do. Trust me, I know.

#2. "Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye) Gladys Knight & the Pips - Now THAT is a title. Oh, yeah, we are going to take advantage of those parentheses like it's nobody's business. Anyway, I know most people may have chosen the other Gladys Knight & the Pips song from this year, "Midnight Train to Georgia", which is also amazing. But I just think that this one is far superior. Plus, I can't have two songs on the list with the word 'Georgia' in them. Right?

#1. "Dancing in the Moonlight" King Harvest - I literally have know idea who these guys are or what else this band did, if anything. I think they might be official One Hit Wonders. But what does it matter? Even if they are, they certainly went all out with their one hit. I just love this song so much, almost inexplicably. It just makes me super happy, which is one of the best things a song can do. Now you may be wondering something. Have I personally ever gone dancing in the moonlight? Maybe. Unless 'dancing' is a euphemism for something. In which case, NO! No, I have never danced in the moonlight! Ever.

So, there you have my favorites from 1973. Come back tomorrow to find out my not so favorites.


Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer