Greetings,
So, math is just about the worst thing ever, am I right? Okay, I'm probably saying that because I have never been good at it. Yes, I know the four basic food groups of math, but once letters and other things shimmy their way in, no, thank you. So, what on Earth would I have any use for a movie that has a lot to do with the evil math? Let's talk about Proof and find out.
Proof is a 2005 film, adapted by Rebecca Miller from David Auburn's play of the same name. Okay, so far, this is looking promising. Who's in this thing? Well, we've got Gwynth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins, Jake Gyllenhaal and the disturbingly underrated Hope Davis. Holy smokes! Is there anything wrong here? Oh, yeah. The math! Okay, to be fair, this film is not REALLY about math. It has something to do with it, of course. Look at the title. But it's almost incidental and the story goes so much deeper than that. It's about family and the choices we make and the ones that we're not sure if we are able to make. So, how about that actual plot?
Paltrow plays Catherine Llewellyn, a young mathematician living in Chicago, who has been taking care of her ailing father, Robert, played by Hopkins. All of their scenes together are in flashback, as he has already passed away in the present timeline of the plot. Relax. I am sometimes turned off by the "flashback" tactic, as well, but here, it is done very well. Anyway, Robert was also a mathematician, an extremely revered one at that, but he had also been dealing with major mental issues in his final years. Catherine is dealing with arrangements for his funeral when her sister, Claire, played by Davis, arrives from New York and begins to take charge in many ways, including when it comes to her younger sibling's entire life. All the while, Catherine has been developing a relationship with a former student of her father's, Harold "Hal" Dobbs, played by Gyllenhaal. He is also into the math, but at nowhere near the level that the Llewellyns are. Nor is he up to their level when it comes to owning composition books. Yeah, I know it's not a big deal, but Catherine and Robert both write in those black and white composition notebooks, and they are EVERYWHERE in their house. And that might be the same case with my own house. No wonder I like that trivial little aspect. Moving on.
After Robert's funeral, things begin to come to light about Catherine's life. Her personal troubles as well as triumphs are becoming known to those closest to her, as she continually thinks of her father. She wonders just exactly how much she has inherited from him, and how much of that she actually wants. Claire and Hal both show concern but in a way that almost offends Catherine, as their want to control her is making her own fears of losing control elevate.
And, really, that is about all I can say about that plot. I think because that, when it comes to the events of the film, it is certainly more about quality than quantity. A few things happen, but the weight of them is more than enough to carry the movie. The entire story is basically about looking back and looking forward and our protagonist deciding which way it is best for her to go. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but trust, this story is told through some stellar dialogue (here's how you do exposition properly) and by way of some amazing actors. Oh, and you know how I only mentioned four of them earlier? That's because, aside from a few extras, these are the only people with whom we spend any significant time. And that is perfectly fine. Better, in fact. Everyone is on top of their game here, especially Paltrow, in what I think might be her finest performance. Yeah, I know she got an Oscar for that Shakespeare movie, but she should have gotten it for this instead. Sue me. As a matter of fact, though I know I said I don't think quite highly of said award anymore, I believe that all four of these actors should have been, at the very least, nominated. But what do I know? Back to the movie, itself. Proof feels like a play, which is, again, in this case, perfectly fine. I actually enjoy movies that are like that, even if they don't actually spawn from a theater production. It can't be easy to do, either way, but this one is translated into film quite beautifully.
So, despite my jokes about the math and my hatred thereof, I am actually recommending Proof, particularly if you love a story of simplicity and depth all at once. It is a house with a structure that is uncomplicated, and yet it is built with gold.
Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer