Sunday, March 1, 2015

Farewell to Leonard Nimoy

Greetings,

As everyone knows by now, we lost an icon a couple of days ago, Leonard Nimoy. I am so sad about this, because I liked him very much. I know I complain a lot about Hollywood people, so when I can find a good one, I tend to hold on and not want to let go. I've been an admirer of Mr. Nimoy's for, quite literally, my entire life. Call me a Trekkie, if you must. Of course, I knew him as Mr. Spock from Star Trek and as a great actor in general, but I could also see that he was a pretty great guy outside of that. He just always seemed really nice, especially to the fans. Even the "crazy" ones. Oh, come on, we all know they exist. He even showed up at the conventions, apparently, which means that he probably made the day, possibly even life, for a lot of those people. And I think he appreciated all of them. I always said that, despite my love of Star Trek, I would never go to any of those cons. I almost regret that I didn't now.

As it turns out, though, there were some things I never knew about Leonard Nimoy until after he passed. Things I really can't believe I never knew. Most importantly, to me anyway, he was a poet. How in the heck did I not know this? It almost seems impossible. But, in the past couple of days, I read some of it, and he was amazing with words. Why am not surprised? I really wish I would have known about this. At least, now I have more ammo when people tell me how worthless it is to write poetry, and I do get told that. Now I can fire back with, "Hey, Leonard Nimoy was a poet." I don't believe they would have a defense.

Another thing I learned, and sadly this is related to his death, is that he was once a smoker. It was his smoking that led him to this disease that ultimately took his life. And he quite thirty years ago! So, he made it a mission to tell people, especially youngsters, about how dangerous it is, even after you quit. Better not to start, he probably told them. And, you know what? He didn't have to do that. But he did. That's the kind of guy he was.

Honestly, I feel like I'm rambling incoherently, because I don't even know what to say about Leonard Nimoy that would do justice to him or how I felt about him. I'm probably saying the same things that so many others are, as well. But that's because he touched so many of us in similar ways. He entertained us and taught us things. He was a wonderful example of how a person in the entertainment industry should be, which makes it even sadder that we've lost him. I suppose all I can really say is that I will certainly miss him, but I'm glad that we in the world had him as long as we did. He was an inspiration as an artist, but more importantly, as a human being.

Love and full moons,
Becky the Writer